Education and Everett

A week ago, Miss Anna and Mr. Bates had taken Teddy for a walk into the village, making sure to show him exactly where his school was. Now, Teddy was very thankful for that walk, as he had to walk to school alone for the first time.

     It was Teddy's first day of what would be many years of education. He had promised Miss Anna that he would give school a try, so here he was, standing in front of the building, wanting to go inside but being unable to move his feet. There were some much bigger kids in there, kids he didn't know. There were adults who looked as strict as Mr. Carson. It was overwhelming, that was for sure. He was about to turn right around and head back to the Abbey when a familiar face appeared next to him.

     "Teddy! You're going to school too!" Abigail grinned, one of her front teeth missing. Teddy smiled at the girl.

     "I was forced into coming." He admitted, reaching up to lift his hat off of his eyes.

     "My mama says it's a lot of fun!" Abigail said, still grinning as she took Teddy by the hand and led him into the school, Teddy reluctantly following her inside.

     The classroom was full of noise as they walked inside. Children of all ages sat at desks or stood with their friends. Abigail found two empty seats at the front, sitting in one and motioning for Teddy to take the other, which he was quite happy with as the two seats on his left were empty, and after them came the wall. Teddy placed his books and slate on the desk, and then looked at Abigail again. She was dressed rather well, in white and light blue like the day they had met, and nice, new shoes. It was quite different from what the other girls in the room were wearing, but Teddy liked it. He was about to say something when someone sat in the desk on his left. Teddy turned his head at the thud of books hitting the desk.  

       "Sorry, was this seat taken?" The boy asked, tilting his head in a curious way.

      "No, not at all," Teddy replied, looking away from the sandy-haired boy and at the books on his own desk. 

      "Oh, good. I'm Everett Rainford." The boy said, sticking out his hand. Teddy looked at it for a moment.

     "Theodore Knighton-" And, as an afterthought, he added- "Barrow." He took Everett's hand and shook it, as that seemed to be what the other boy wanted. 

      "Abigail Bennett," Abigail said from behind Teddy, waving at Everett. Everett smiled and waved back. 

     "It's a pleasure to meet you both," Everett said, his previously slicked back hair falling into his face. He brushed it away and smiled. "I think we'll be good friends. If you'd like to be."

     "I'd like that very much!" Abigail said, smiling. Teddy nodded in agreement.

     "Me as well. The three of us will have to stick together to survive schooling!" Everett laughed, clearly pleased that he had already had made friends. The teacher walked in after that, stopping their conversation and starting their learning for the day.

      "It was amazing!" Teddy said over dinner that night. "The teacher taught us maths and science and writing and reading. And Abigail was there! And I made another friend too. His name is Everett." Mr. Carson looked at the boy.

     "Would you care to tell us the last names of these new friends?" He asked, to which Mrs. Hughes nodded. Teddy didn't quite understand why, but he tried to remember their last names to tell them.

     "Um, Abigail Bennett and Everett- it was an 'r'- Rainford! That's it!"  The adults all exchanged glances, all having similar thoughts. 

     "Theodore, darling, are you done eating?" Anna asked, to which the boy nodded. "Why don't you head up to bed? You have another long day of learning tomorrow." Teddy nodded again, standing up and bringing his plate to the kitchen. In hushed voices, the servants continued their conversation. 

     "It appears young Theodore has made some friends of higher class."

     "He can't be friends with them, the daughter of a businessman and the son of a Baron!"

     "But they're his only friends right now. We can't just take that away from him." 

     "I just don't want him to get too close to them, and then suddenly be unable to talk to them anymore."

     "It's his first day. He'll make more friends as time goes on. Just let him have these ones well he can."