Mend the Crown that's Broken in Half

London was the place where Teddy had realized his feelings for Abi, so it only made sense that it was where he went at a time when he needed to take a break from them.

     He hadn't properly spoken to Abi in too long and had been avoiding Everett like the plague since that dreadful dinner. In a small town like Downton, all of that mattered. Everyone noticed it, and you were bound to see certain people far too often. But in a big city like London, he could get away from it all. Nobody cared who you were or who you were trying to stay away from.

     So, when he climbed on the train early that morning, Teddy could smile at himself and relax. It didn't matter that he was riding in third-class. Clearing his mind was a first-class experience in itself.

     He had been sat next to an old lady for the ride. They never spoke; the woman focused on her knitting and Teddy was happy to just read his book. He wasn't leaving to make friends. He was leaving to plan for his future. There was a big difference, even if some people at Downton would disagree. Claiming he needed friends to succeed.

     For the record, he didn't. He could do well all by himself, thank you very much.

     His train eventually arrived in London and, finally growing excited with the sight of urban buildings in view, Teddy was quick to stand, exiting at the first opportunity.

     "Teddy!" He heard Diana before he saw her. Fixing his grip on his valise, he turned, then grinned as he found her red hair in the crowd. He started walking toward her, a smile forming on his face. She smiled back, coming toward him. Teddy placed down his valise as he reached her, allowing himself to give her the big hug that she undoubtedly deserved.

     "Thank you for this," he said in her ear as they hugged, aware of how hard it was to hear with all the people around them. "It's exactly what I need."

     "I'm happy to help, honey," Diana replied. They released their hug, and Teddy grabbed his case again. With that, he followed Diana out of the train station, letting her lead the way to the Douglas family home.

     "Oscar is just finishing up something at the restaurant," Diana said as she opened the door to the home. There was a pot of flowers by it, with purple and yellow petals and bright green, refreshed leaves. "But he'll be home by dinner. The kids should be here right now, though."

     The kids. Teddy had small ideas of them from the letters he exchanged with Oscar and Diana, but he admitted that he didn't know much. Just that there were three, two daughters and a son, with the son being the middle child. He could barely recall their names, which he would feel bad about if he had ever seen their faces.

    As they walked into the home, Diana called out, announcing that they were back. Immediately, a voice replied.

     "Mummy!" A girl's face appeared from around the corner. She had inherited Diana's hair colour, though she had Oscar's brown eyes. "Leo took Mr. Wobbles!"

     "She's eleven! She doesn't need him!" A boy's voice replied, breaking on the last word, though Teddy couldn't see him yet. Diana sighed, mouthed an apology, then called down the hall.

     "Leo, give it back now."

      "But-"

     "Leopold!"

     "Fine!" Leo, a boy with dark brown hair and a collection of acne by his hairline due to his clear early-puberty age, came around the corner, holding out a stuffed animal bunny, hand grasping its ears, so it dangled between him and the girl. "But keep him away from my cricket gear. I'm not teaching him to play."