The Discussions that Follow

The sun had nearly set by the time Teddy returned to Downton Abbey, a small strip of orange in the sky being its only remains. His heart held onto the hope that he would be able to slip into the back door unnoticed, that he'd come while everyone was busy, and he could quietly get upstairs to his room without being seen.

This hope quickly diminished, however, as he stepped into the servants' courtyard to see a dark figure leaning against one of the beams, the orange light of a burning cigarette revealing exactly who it was. Quietly, Teddy walked towards him, biting his lip.

"I was wondering when you'd get back." Thomas stepped away from the post and towards Teddy, cigarette lazily held between his fingers.

"Well," Teddy said, unsure of how else he could answer that. He wasn't sure the feeling in his chest and stomach would let him say more than one word at a time anyway.

"Mr. Carson spoke with me." Teddy nodded. "Of course, by then, I had heard about what happened."

Teddy looked up at Thomas, waiting for him to continue. Thomas took a drag from his cigarette, taking what felt like ages to blow the smoke out of his mouth before he spoke again.

"Why didn't you just take the candlesticks upstairs?"

"Because that's not my job." Teddy knew his father and knew that Thomas, of all people, should understand his thought process. He just wished that he would show some emotion on his face right now.

"Well, it would be saving me a lot of trouble if you just got off of your high horse and did the job," Thomas replied, causing Teddy's jaw to drop. Was he seriously taking Carson's side right now?

"I have other things to do. I couldn't just put them aside to follow his every order."

"None of this would be an issue if you had taken a moment of your time to-"

"You are such a hypocrite!" Thomas' eyes widened as he looked down at his son. "All those times where you refused to do a task because it wasn't part of your job, and now you're berating me for doing the same?"

"I'm just trying to understand why you yelled at Mr. Carson and got both of us into more trouble than necessary."

"Because Carson's a-" Teddy quickly shut his mouth as the door opened, just in case it was Mr. Carson or someone who would be bringing this conversation back to him.

"Mr. Barrow," Alfred stepped out of the door, looking between Thomas and Teddy. "Mr. Carson is asking for you."

Thomas rolled his eyes, dropping his cigarette and stepping on it to put it out. He looked at Theodore, his expression telling him that their conversation wasn't finished.

Teddy stayed out in the courtyard for a few moments longer before deciding that he was cold and should probably head inside. Crossing his fingers that he would be able to get upstairs without being stopped, he quietly slipped through the door. '

He'd almost made it to the staircase when a hand was put on his arm, causing him to pause. He turned to see Mrs. Hughes, his heart dropping.

"Come with me." Teddy nodded, walking with her to her sitting room. He sat in one of the chairs once he got there, waiting for her to say something. Finally, once she had poured a cup of tea for herself, she spoke.

"Would you like some?" Teddy shook his head, unsure that he could stomach the tea right now. Mrs. Hughes nodded, placing the teapot down on the table.

"I'm not here to lecture you, Theodore. I just want to know what happened from your perspective."

Teddy couldn't hide his surprise. He could feel some of the knots in his stomach starting to loosen at just the thought of getting to explain himself.