It's Time I Told You

"You know, sometimes people get gifts when they're leaving school." Teddy looked up from his book, staring straight ahead and not at the person who had just snuck up on him from behind.

     "Usually, that's when they graduate, Perce. Not when they're old enough to drop out."

     "I don't like the term 'drop out'," Percy responded, sitting on the bench next to Teddy. "It implies that I gave up when really I'm just making important life decisions." 

     Teddy heavily sighed, marking his page and closing his book. 

     "What do you want?"

     "Tell someone." Percy did not need to specify. 

     "Percy, we talked about this," Teddy said, lowering his voice. "You heard the threats Green was making. I can't bring more people into this than I already have."

     "Why not? Teddy, nothing has happened. And clearly, the people you've already told haven't helped a lot, because you're sitting here moping instead of joining the rest of the class."

     "I am not moping."

     "But you're not with them, are you?" Percy motioned towards where the majority of their class was gathered around one of the desks, helping themselves to the baked goods that Miss Gibson had brought with her for her last day.  Teddy watched them for a few seconds, eyes landing on Abigail. She turned and smiled at him, to which he smiled back. 

     "Tell her, at least. If anyone deserves to know, it's her." Percy must have followed his gaze. 

     Teddy considered this for a moment, then nodded. 

     "Alright."

     Percy's entire face lit up at the realization that Teddy was finally taking his advice.

     "Really?"

     "I tell you three everything," Teddy said, knowing that he did not need to specify who the three people were. "I've kept this one to myself for long enough."

      As the day went on, Teddy couldn't seem to remember why he had agreed. Perhaps it was because he could feel the weight that this secret had on him. Maybe it was because he did want Abigail to know. Or it might have just been to get Percy off of his back. 

     No matter the reason, there was no getting out of it now. 

     So, when the three of them were alone that day after school, they went out to the woods, as usual. 

     Perhaps they were getting too old to be climbing trees and having conversations among the branches but, if that were the case, none of them wanted to address it. So, up the trees they went and, once they were all situated, Abi spoke.

     "Alright. What's this important thing that Percy says you need to tell me?"

     Teddy took in a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves, then looked at Abi. 

     "Before I say anything, I need you to understand that I didn't tell you this sooner because I was worried for your safety. And, I'm only telling you now because I believe that it's been long enough that nothing too bad will happen. Just, don't go telling anyone else."

     Abi nodded, so Teddy continued.

     "A few months ago, there was a house party at the Abbey. And with one of the guests came a valet named Mr. Green-"