Making a Footman

The weight of a blanket being wrapped around him brought Theodore back to reality. He started to listen, hearing the voices of the firemen as they ran into the Abbey. And, without a word, Teddy was being helped to his feet. 

     "It's alright, Teddy. You're alright." Theodore turned, looking up at Percy, who was putting an arm around him. 

     Of course. Many of the tenant farmers volunteered as firemen. Mr. Wilson must be one of them.

     "I-" Teddy looked toward the Abbey, then back at Percy. "I thought-"

     "I know. It's okay." Teddy took a shaky breath, trying to calm himself down. Percy quietly used the corner of Teddy's blanket to wipe away the tear streaks on his friend's face. Teddy gave Percy a small smile. Poor Percy, out here on a February night in nothing but his pyjamas. 

     "You look like you need the blanket more than me."

     "I don't need anything. What do you need?"

     "Dad. I lost him inside. I need to know he's okay." Percy nodded, glancing around. In the dark, it was hard to make out the faces of the people around them. So, he turned to Teddy.

      "Let's take a walk and see if we can find him then."

     And so, they walked together, looking around at the many faces of the people around them. Finally, Teddy's eyes landed on a familiar profile. He was talking to someone, but Theodore did not care in the slightest. He was running, blanket waving behind him like a cape. 

      "Dad!" He wrapped his arms around the man. "Thank God!" 

      He felt Thomas' arms wrap around him as the woman standing across from him spoke. 

     "I'll leave you both alone. I should be checking on Lady Edith anyway. But thank you. Thank you to both of you."

     Eyes widening in realization, Teddy turned, looking at Lady Grantham. 

     "You ladyship. I'm so sorry, I didn't realize- I thought- I mean-"

      Thomas quickly came to Teddy's rescue. 

      "Theodore's mother died in a fire. It brings unpleasant memories and thoughts."

      "Oh, of course, it does. Please, do not worry, Theodore. Your actions tonight have proven your courage. I'm grateful to both of you."

     "That's very kind of you, your ladyship. Thank you."

     Teddy looked toward where Percy was standing, a few feet away from the group. Percy, who had clearly heard the conversation, mouthed his response at him: "Nice going, Barrow."

     As Lady Grantham walked away, Teddy quietly laughed, then turned to his dad.

     "I'm really glad you're okay. I couldn't lose you. Especially not to a fire."

      "I couldn't lose you either, kid."

     Teddy stood in the doorway of his room, watching as Thomas carried Jimmy's valise out of the footmen's room. Well, former room now. Jimmy, in his own suit instead of his livery, followed Thomas out, then locked eyes with Teddy. He muttered something to Thomas about being down in a minute, then walked towards Theodore. 

     "I guess it's your turn now, isn't it?" Teddy furrowed his brow.

     "What's that mean?"

     "It means that this house will need a young man to keep it interesting. And you'll do well. You already do."