Burning Bridges

Teddy had taken the time to truly process what had happened the night before. He'd wanted to push it out of his mind, forget about it and move on with his life as if Katherine had never found a place in his heart. 

     He was alone in his room. Good, he didn't need to be worrying his father with this right now. Carson had pulled him into his office earlier that day, Teddy watched it happen, and he didn't think it was the first time.

     Someone walked into the room and Teddy wiped his tears away. He hadn't looked to see who it was, but he could guess that it was his dad. After all, who else would walk in here?

      "You alright?" Thomas, as expected. Teddy nodded, but then stopped. He looked up at his dad, letting out a defeated sigh. He placed his head back on the pillow, staring at the wall.

      "Don't get all clammed up. Talk to me."

      "Love is stupid." He said simply. Thomas sat on the edge of the bed. 

     "You can say that again." Teddy sat up, looking at his father. 

     "She likes Everett. So I can't even be mad at the one she chose, because it's him!"

     "We're talking about the blonde one, right? Katherine?" Teddy nodded, glancing away. 

     "And the moment I thought she might actually like me back, she told me." 

     "I know that feeling, Ted." Thomas looked at his son. "Just try to forget about her. I know it's hard, but try." Teddy nodded, staring at the ground. Thomas sighed.

      "Is there anything I can do to help you feel better?" Teddy thought for a moment, then the idea struck him. 

       Teddy and Thomas made their way outside. Thomas didn't have to dress Lord Grantham again until that night, so they had hours before he was needed. 

     So, to fill that time, and to get both of them away from the Abbey for a bit, Teddy was finally getting his cricket session with his father. And, despite the fact that he was terrible, it was marvellous.

    Thomas had come to the decision that Teddy's weakness was in hitting the ball. He was fine with it came to throwing and catching it, for the most part, but hitting it with the bat was not something he was able to do. 

     "It's alright. We'll get there." Thomas would assure him, yet, each time it was said, Teddy believed it even less than the time before. 

      They played for a couple of hours before they decided to finish. Thomas had to clean up before dressing Lord Grantham, and Teddy was getting tired. But, both of them seemed to be feeling a bit better after taking the time to get their minds off of things. At least, temporarily. 

     They both walked back inside, Thomas heading up to change and Teddy making the decision to sit in one of the chairs by the fire. He watched as Alfred and Jimmy walked in from the hall, quietly discussing something. They both glanced at them and, in return from the looks of disgust on their faces, Teddy glared. 

      "I bet you're just like him, aren't you." It was obvious who they were talking about, but Teddy felt like messing with them.

       "Just like who?"

       "You know who."

       "Do I?" Teddy leaned back in his chair, looking up at the two young men. Jimmy walked towards him, lowering his voice so that others in close areas, such as the kitchen couldn't hear. 

       "You realise what he's done, don't you?" Teddy scoffed, standing up from his chair and going to walk around Jimmy, but Alfred blocked his path. 

        "Why should it matter what I know?" 

        "He does." Alfred said to Jimmy. Teddy clenched his jaw, desperately wishing someone would come in. He felt cornered right now. In front of him, two footmen; to his side, two chairs; and behind him, a fire place. 

        "Let me go."

        "Why, so you can go sin too?" Alfred asked. Teddy looked up at the man. He wasn't sure how or why Alfred knew about what happened, but Teddy didn't think asking that was the best idea right now.

       Teddy moved try and get around again and, for a moment, he thought Jimmy was actually about to let him go. But, this didn't end up happening.

       "You know, you don't have to stay with a man like that. There's people here who will help you, if you want it." 

     "If you want to help me, then you'll help him." Mrs. Hughes walked into the room after this, looking at the group of them.

     "My, what's happening here?" She asked, causing Alfred and Jimmy to glance at each other. 

     "Nothing, Mrs. Hughes. Just a discussion." As Jimmy said this, Teddy tried one last time to get around them. He was finally successful, going between the footmen and moving far enough away from them. 

     "Is it?" She asked, glancing at Teddy. He didn't say anything in return, just staring back at her. 

     "Yes, ma'am." Alfred said. Teddy desperately wanted to bash his head in, but he didn't think that would help the situation. 

      Mrs. Hughes looked at Theodore one last time and, after he just so slightly shook his head, she spoke again.

      "Theodore, why don't you come help me with something?" Teddy nodded, following her out of the room. He wasn't sure what he would be able to do for her, but he decided that whatever it was, he would do to the best of his ability. Anyways, it would get him away from Alfred and Jimmy for a while.