Moonlit Heartbreak

Bates had returned. After all of the time he's spent locked away, he had finally been released and was back at Downton. 

     Most were happy about this. Of course they would be. An innocent man had just been saved from a lifetime of imprisonment. And yet, Teddy had come to learn that, from every good thing, came something bad as well.

     With Bates back at Downton, Lord Grantham now had his preferred valet back, putting Thomas out of the picture. Thomas was officially going to be excused from Downton, meaning the man would need to find a new place to work in. At this point, he wouldn't be surprised if his father had completely forgotten that he was part of the equation.

     Teddy hadn't spoken to him about this yet, wanting to let Thomas figure it out on his own, yet something within himself gnawing at him. Not many places would be willing to take in a man with a child to care for. And although he was no longer a little boy, he knew that Thomas may have trouble finding a job as long as he was in the picture. 

      "I've brought biscuits if you'd like one," Katherine said, lifting the cloth on her basket to reveal the promised treats. Teddy looked at them, then back to her.

      "If you'd like me to have one, I shall." He replied, smiling fondly at her. She nodded, taking a biscuit out of the basket.

      "I think I'd like that very much." At the moment Teddy opened his mouth to respond, she took the biscuit and shoved it into his mouth, causing Teddy to almost gag on it.

      Not wanting to make a fool of himself in front of her, Teddy turned away, covering his mouth with his hands so he could somehow figure out whether he should try to eat the biscuit or spit it out. Eventually, he was able to get his mouth properly around it to chew, biting off a piece and holding the rest of the biscuit in his hands. Wiping the crumbs off of his face, he turned back to Katherine.

      "Delicious," Teddy said upon swallowing. Katherine giggled and nodded.

      "Thank you. Harriet and I made them together."

      "That's very nice." Teddy bit another piece off of the biscuit as they walked. "It must be delightful to be so close to your sister."

       "We've always gotten along well. We do almost everything together." Teddy held out his arm for Katherine as they ventured off of the road and to some rougher terrain. "The one thing I could never get her interested in was astronomy. I do wish I had someone to look at the stars with." Teddy's heart leapt at this chance.

      "I would love to if you're looking for someone. You've made me quite interested in the stars." Katherine turned to look at him, a smile playing at her lips.

      "Do you truly mean that?"

      "I do!" Teddy assured, nodding enthusiastically. "Besides, I like spending the time with you."

       "I enjoy my time with you too, Teddy." Teddy just had to hope that the heat on his face wasn't showing in colour, as he replayed Katherine's words in his head.

        Teddy got back to Downton to see his father and O'Brien together. It seemed as though they had just finished a conversation, although he couldn't be sure of what it was about. 

        "Teddy, there you are. Have you seen Jimmy?" Thomas asked. Teddy sighed.

        "I just got back. Why would I have seen Jimmy?"

        "I thought maybe he was outside or something, that's all." O'Brien stood from her seat, a mischievous smirk on her face, and walked out of the room.