The Apology

AN - IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ:
      So, before I start this next chapter, I just wanted to get a few things across about what has happened so far and what will be touched on in the future of this story. With everything going on in the world right now, I felt it important that I do this. First of all, any racism or homophobia shown is not my personal opinion, but me trying to stick to how people were at the time (and how some, unfortunately, still are now). I have nothing against people of different races, sexualities, genders, religions, etc., and I would never want any of my readers to feel that I do. With that said, if anything I'm writing portraying this does go a bit too far with it, do feel free to tell me, and I will edit it as soon as I am able to! I want my book and my profile to be open and safe spaces for everyone, and that can only happen if everyone feels comfortable with what I have written. The argument with Everett in the last chapter was about the worst as I plan on it getting, and, as you've seen, Teddy is more accepting than most at the time, however, I can't know what I am to write about in the future, so I wanted to make this known now. 
     Thank you all for reading, commenting, and voting. You have no idea how much I appreciate it!

     Teddy had stayed home from school the next day, as the area around his right eye was now swollen and a solid purple in colour. It was Friday anyway, so Thomas had decided that he could miss the day and just return with everyone on Monday. Besides, Teddy figured that someone would come and bring him the work anyway. 

     So, he'd spent most of the day up in his room and, although it was quite boring, it did give him some time to gather his thoughts and recall everything that had happened the day before. He couldn't understand why Everett had said the things he did, especially the ones about Percy. After all, Percy and Everett had been very close for some time, and his skin was rarely brought up within the group. But, at the same time, he did recall that Everett hadn't always been the most understanding about a lot of things, so perhaps Teddy had just been too oblivious to notice any odd behaviour from him. 

     He had gone down for lunch that day and went right back up to his room afterwards, where he sat doing anything to keep himself busy for the next few hours until, finally, there was a knock on the door and his father opened it from the other side.

    "You've some visitors." He said, with a look on his face that Teddy couldn't completely read. It was almost as if Thomas were warning him of something. Teddy wasn't able to catch on until the two boys walked in. Percy was the first, holding some of Teddy's school books. The others, and Teddy's slate, were carried by none other than Everett. Teddy stared at him for a moment, trying to figure out why he was here, and why Percy was anywhere near him. Thomas followed them inside, just standing by the door and watching.

     "How are you, Teddy?" Percy asked as he placed the books on the edge of Teddy's bed. Everett followed him, head down and not making a sound - rather unusual behaviour from him. 

    "I'll be alright. The swelling's gotten better today, and we're hoping that the bruising will go down by Monday." He said, pointing to his eyes. Everett reached up and scratched the back of his neck. He looked guilty and uncomfortable. Good, he should feel bad. Teddy clenched his jaw as he looked at the boy, not sure what he was even doing here.

    "That's good. I'm hoping you'll be back." Percy said with a smile, then followed Teddy's gaze to the other person in the room. "Right. Everett wants to talk to you." He then backed away, staying in the room but giving Everett and Teddy a bit of space to themselves. 

    "Well, go on then." 

    "I am a terrible person."

    "I could have told you that."

     "Let him talk, Theodore," Thomas spoke for the first time since the boys had entered the room, although his eyes were practically burning a hole in the back of Everett's head. 

     "I spent all of last night thinking about what happened, and I said the worst things. You have every right to be mad at me."

     "I'm confused. If you know that they're wrong, then why did you say it?"

     "I was upset yesterday for other reasons, and I took it out on my friends. I never should have." Everett replied, still refusing to look Teddy in the eye. Whether this was guilt from what he said, guilt from giving him a black eye, or a mix of both, Teddy couldn't say. 

     "I took things that my father has said, not knowing entirely what they meant, and I said them to Percy. He didn't deserve it. And you didn't deserve the things I said to you." He finally looked up at Teddy, biting his lip. "Or the punches. Sorry." Teddy stared at Everett for a moment, then turned to Percy.

     "Did he apologize to you?" Percy nodded.

     "He came to my house this morning. We waited for you for a bit, but then we realized that you probably weren't coming." Teddy nodded, just looking down now and running a hand through his hair. Whatever he'd expected to happen between Everett and Percy, forgiveness from the latter hadn't been it. And, yet, Percy seemed absolutely fine with Everett now, and Teddy wondered if he should just forgive him as well.

     "You can't do it again." He finally said, looking up. "Insult any of us like that. We won't keep forgiving you."

    "So you are then?" Everett asked. "Forgiving me?" Teddy looked at him for a moment, then nodded. 

    "Yes. But it will only happen once."

     "It will only need to happen once," Everet replied, moving a bit towards Teddy and sticking his hand out. Teddy took it, and the two shook their hands with a smiling Percy next to them. Thomas still stood leaning against the wall by the door in his uniform, studying the scene in front of him.

     "We should be going," Percy said, appearing at Everett's side. 

     "Right," Everett said, giving Teddy a small smile. "I hope your eye gets better."

     "Thanks," Teddy replied as the two headed for the door before Everett turned while standing in the frame of it. 

     "Oh! We're meeting at our usual spot tomorrow at 11! Us and Abi, as it always is!" He said with a large smile before Percy practically pulled him into the hall. Teddy couldn't help but laugh, as he called out an affirmation that he would be there.

     "I can't believe you forgave him." Teddy jumped a bit, having almost forgotten that Thomas was still in the room. 

     "Well, it seemed genuine. And I think we could try and teach him to be better about it." Thomas came and sat next to Teddy.

     "I know he's been one of your closest friends, but just be careful. He's been raised differently than you, and he'll have different morals." Thomas stared at the door for a moment, shaking his head a bit. "You heard him, he got what he said from his father. Who knows what else he's heard from the man?"

     "I suppose so, but I thought that if Percy forgave him, then it would be foolish for me not to." Thomas let out a small sigh, putting an arm around Teddy.

     "You young people forgive far too easily." He said, ruffling Teddy's hair a bit. "A blessing for the instigator, but a curse for the appeaser."