After the Battle Comes the Retreat

Thomas had no idea what to expect after that argument. More fighting and yelling, perhaps. Or maybe a civil discussion about what had happened. He and Teddy had never fought before, so anything was a possibility. 

     What he had not been expecting at all was for Teddy to lose his fire. And yet, that was exactly what happened. 

     All traces of what Teddy had been for the past months; his passion, his bravery, and, yes, even his yelling, all of it was gone. 

     The boy had taken to sitting in Thomas' usual chair by the fireplace, curled up with his knees to his chest. Some days he just stared, others, he read a book or worked on his next article. He rarely spoke. 

     Thomas himself had taken to watching him, waiting for some sort of spark that would bring his son back. Surely the Teddy he knew couldn't have disappeared overnight. And yet, for three weeks now, it was completely gone.

     It was one of those days that Teddy had opted for a book that someone finally spoke to him about it. 

     "You need to talk to him, Thomas." The man in question snapped his head towards Baxter, placing a sneer on his face. 

     "What would you know about it?" Thomas pulled out a lighter and his cigarette pack, deciding to look at them instead of the lady's maid. "He hates me anyway."

     "No, he doesn't."

     "You heard it. No use in pretending you didn't."

     "He didn't mean it though. Haven't you ever said something one moment out of anger or spite, then regretted it instantly after?"

     Thomas did not have to look at Baxter to know that she had gotten one of those smiles on her face. One of her smiles that said that she knew everything.

      He watched as Ivy appeared, said something to Teddy, and then the both of them left to go into the kitchen. From beside him, Baxter sighed.

      "I'm just going to ask you to consider one thing. What would Eliza have done?"

     Ivy stared at Teddy from across the counter as he grabbed more of the cookie dough from the bowl in his arms. 

      "You know, when I said I had extra, I meant that we could bake it." Teddy looked up at Ivy, spoon in his mouth, and shook his head. He pulled the spoon out of his mouth and swallowed, then responded. 

      "It's better this way." Ivy frowned so he held the bowl out. "Get a spoon. Try it."

     She looked around at the kitchen, then, seeing it empty, sighed and did just that. 

      "You know, they say you're not supposed to eat raw egg-"

       "I haven't collapsed on the floor yet, have I?" Ivy hesitated, then nodded and scooped up some of the cookie dough for herself.

     "Oh, this is good!"

     "See? If we weren't supposed to eat it like this, then why would-"

     "I'm sorry to interrupt." Both Ivy and Teddy abruptly stood, looking toward the source of the voice. Rose smiled at the two of them, then looked towards Teddy. "Do you have a few minutes?"

     Teddy nodded, handing the cookie dough over to Ivy and, with a quiet goodbye, following Rose out of the room. 

     Rose led Teddy outside and together they walked down the path as she spoke. "My mother is insufferable! I swear, she does everything just to make me miserable."