City Days

Thomas had been able to hide the news stories from Teddy for a few weeks, but when something was broadcasted to the public, one was bound to see it. 

    Theodore came across the first one accidentally, finding it in a copy of The Sketch when reading the one discarded by Lady Grantham. He had been hunting for his article, worried that a spelling mistake hadn't been caught in the editing process, but the headline had caught his eye. 

     Fortune of Late Investor Given to Illegitimate Great-Grandson.

     Teddy skimmed it, immediately coming to find the exact names and details that he worried were included in the article. Spelling error forgotten, he placed it down, going in search of any other London papers from closer to the actual event. 

     Bastard Receives Inheritance, Family Passed Over

     Family Fortune Stolen by Child Born Out of Wedlock

    Bastard Grandson Steals Inheritance; "He's a Thief, and He Knows It" Exclaims Rightful Heir.

    Son Made From Sin Becomes Rich

     "My God," Teddy breathed as he looked over the headlines before him. 

     Well, that was his reputation down the drain. 

     "Mr. Skinner, I don't understand-"

     "Oh, don't act stupid with me, boy!" The editor's voice boomed from the other side of the telephone. Theodore squeezed his eyes shut as he listened to the man. 

     "I'm not acting stupid, Sir. I just want to know why."

     Needless to say, Theodore was not a fan of The Sketch's editor. 

     "Look, you're either going to stick to my new word count, or you're not going to be writing at all, do you hear?"

     "Is this a request made by Lady Edith-"

     "Don't bring her into this!" The man cut him off. Teddy placed a hand on the table in front of himself, leaning on it. "I am the editor, you do as I say."

     "But I've had the same word count since I started years ago?" Teddy replied. "And it's always been biweekly. Why would people care about a monthly column that's only half as long?"

     "It keeps it fresh. Changes things up."

     "Is this because of my last article about the divide between tradition and embracing the new age? You don't have to agree with me, Sir."

     "Ah, about that-" a muffled sound came from the other end of the telephone, accompanied by loud breathing until the man spoke again. "I'm choosing your article topics from now on."

     Teddy could not help but slam his hand against the table. 

     "Mister Skinner! That defeats the entire purpose of it!"

     "This is how the business works, Barrow. You were bound to figure that out soon enough."

     "But-"

     With that, Skinner hung up the phone, leaving Teddy to stand with the piece still next to his ear, staring at the wall in disbelief.

     His eyes travelled down to the telephone, Theodore examining the earpiece for a moment before a thought occurred to him. After a brief glance at the door of the butler's pantry, Teddy decided to test his luck for how long Carson would be preoccupied. Grabbing the telephone directory, he searched until- There. That would do.