Modernizing Downton

Theodore Barrow was busier than ever. 

     He would start his days at six o'clock, like most lower servants. He would get ready quickly, putting on his livery, then proceed to start with his work. He was expected to help the hall boys clean the shoes of the higher-ranking servants, having specifically been assigned Mr. Carson's and Mr. Barrow's (Teddy still had to get used to calling him that). 

     He also had the job of waking Thomas up at seven o'clock. Mr. Molesley would wake up Carson, which Teddy was glad for. He had no idea how Thomas and Jimmy had survived having that duty. 

     He would then go to help lay the breakfast table. With only four members in the house who dined here, this typically didn't take too long and allowed Teddy to be downstairs to iron the newspapers. Then, he ate breakfast.

     He stopped with duties by 8:30, informing one of the men above him of anything he hadn't been able to finish. He would immediately go upstairs, change his clothing, grab his books, and leave on his bicycle to be at school by 9 am. 

     He was in school until 4; if he had debate practice, it was an extra half hour. Then, he would return to the Abbey as quickly as possible, where he was expected to be able to serve the family afternoon tea at 5. This meant changing back into his livery as quickly as possible upon returning to the Abbey. If he didn't make it in time, which had happened twice, he was expected to stay downstairs and do whatever job Thomas had been doing before, as the underbutler had covered for him both of these times.

     Then, of course, he would do any necessary work until 6. If possible, he would squeeze his homework into this time as well. At 6, he went to the dining room to set the table for the family dinner; then, at 7, he was expected to bring up dinner for the children in the nursery. The family dinner was at 8. The servant's dinner was typically at 9:30; however, when he got to eat really depended on how long it took the family to finish their meal.

      After he ate was when he finally got some time to relax. He would complete any homework that he hadn't been able to get done earlier and have conversations with the other servants.

     It was odd that they were now considered his coworkers, yet he rather enjoyed the thought. They may not be equals, but they were much closer to it.

     Teddy also had a weird sense that his being employed made Carson respect him more. He'd gathered that Lady Grantham, both the current and the Dowager, had spoken well of him, leading to him getting the job, which may have also affected the butler's opinion, even if only slightly. 

     He had been worried that this would affect the time he could spend with the Levellers, but they had helped to make it work. Everett didn't mind sitting there as Teddy worked, talking as the boy polished silver or cleaned the glassware. Percy willingly helped polish boots or occupied Everett while Teddy completed his duties.

    Abi was a bit more difficult. Her father still banned her from coming to Downton Abbey, but luckily they got to be together at school. Teddy spent the entirety of his lunch break with her and, on occasion, Eleanor.

     It was not very long after the fire that Teddy's new position in the house allowed him to clue into some things that had likely been happening for longer than he realized. 

     He had been coming down the stairs, following behind Mr. Molesley, when he heard his father's voice. 

     "Oh, gallant Mr. Molesley. She's never told you, though, has she?"

     Miss Baxter walked past Teddy on the stairs, her eyes not meeting his. 

     "Miss Baxter has had troubles in the past, which you have tried to use against her until her Ladyship put a stop to it. That is all I need to know."