Downstairs Relationships

"Theodore," Mr. Carson had found Teddy almost immediately after he had come out of his room, causing him to jump in surprise. 

     "Sorry, I didn't see you. How can I help you, Mr. Carson?"

     "We're going to have a quick talk in my pantry if that's alright."

      Teddy wished that Thomas had stayed here because the thought of talking to Carson alone made him want to scream.

     "Now, this business with Mr. Green," Carson started once the two of them were alone. "What are your intentions?"

     "What do you mean, Sir?" Teddy frowned, trying to figure out what Carson was getting at. 

      "Well, his actions would mean that you're within your right to report him. However, after the side you took last time something like this occurred, it would be rather out of character."

     Was Carson really getting at what Teddy thought he was? 

     "Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you comparing this to what happened between my dad and Jimmy?"

     Carson harrumphed as if that were an actual answer. Luckily, Teddy had known him long enough to understand his meaning.

     "I'm sorry, I don't know how these two situations match up. I'm more concerned about the fact that I'm thirteen and he's a grown man."

     "Ah, so you still refuse to admit tha-" Carson stood talking as Theodore abruptly stood from his chair. 

     "I refuse to sit here while you talk about an event that everyone else has moved on from. Especially when it's to insult my own family. Good night, Mr. Carson," Teddy walked out of the room, ignoring whatever words Carson was mumbling about him. 

     Teddy had been about to go up to his room, wanting to get away from the people down here, when he remembered that he had left his book in the servants' hall. Sighing heavily, he turned around, walking in and hoping that he would go unnoticed. 

       Unfortunately, someone decided to start a conversation with him, although he couldn't say he minded much considering who it was. 

     "Are you alright, Teddy? You seem rather upset," Baxter asked, her concern evident on her face. Teddy shrugged.

     "I will be. It's just my Barrow pride that's been hurt," he joked with her, causing her to quietly laugh.

     "Oh, I know all about the Barrow pride. Your father has had it for years." Abandoning his plan to go straight to his room, Teddy sat down next to her. He would move when Molesley arrived.

     "How did you know him, again?"

      "I was friends with his sister growing up. Honestly, she was like my own sister, that's how close we were."

      Teddy thought for a moment, considering this relationship. 

     "Dad must have liked you then if he wanted you to come work here." Baxter shook her head.

     "I'm not sure about that."

     "I am. He's not very good at showing when he likes someone, and sometimes his pride overshadows it, but he wouldn't bring someone here if he disliked them," Teddy observed. "Maybe he viewed you as a sister too. Then you'd be like my aunt or something."

     "Goodness, I've never been called someone's aunt before." Teddy smirked.

     "Let's change it then! From now on, you are Auntie Baxter." Baxter laughed at this, shaking her head.