Of Letters and Words

May 20, 1925,

      Mr. Theodore Barrow,

      I understand that you'll find my writing to you odd, considering that we haven't spoken since last December, but something in me felt a need to reach out to you. Especially considering the latest developments in both of our lives.

     I've been made aware of your relationship with our mutual friend, as I hope she will allow me to call her, Miss Bennett. Now that it's out in the open, I'm shocked that I didn't notice how well-suited the two of you are sooner. But either way, I would like to offer you two my congratulations and well wishes. Please understand that I hold no ill feelings toward you.

     Now, I should share the initial reason for my writing. I found myself at the rebuilt Hartford's a few days ago, the first time I was there since the tales I told you of your dear mother, and I found myself speaking to one of the staff. Not an owner, but a cook just finishing her shift who said that she had worked there since before the original fire. I told her of Eliza and her kindness, and she responded with tales of her own. She seemed somewhat interested in the fact that I had met you.

     You may have noticed by now that the envelope contains a golden compass on a chain. I went back to Hartford's today, and upon seeing me there, the cook came out and gave it to me.

     She explained that it had been worn by Eliza every day, back when they worked together. I'm not sure exactly why the cook held on to it all these years, though she did mention not trusting it to reach you in the hands of your godfather. Either way, she requested that I pass it on to you, as it seemed rather important to Eliza. I assured her that I would, and this is where I uphold that promise.

     If I may say so, the compass appears to be of excellent quality. Its detailing fascinates me, and I'm pleased to have had a chance to see it. While I know you won't see it the same way I've been raised to, I hope there will be something in it for you to appreciate.

     I hope you are well. I leave you with no pressure to write back, though any letters from you would not be unwelcome.

     Sincerely,

     Andreas Pavone.

     The compass found its way into Eliza's box, next to the ring that had once belonged to her grandmother, blue sapphire shining even after years of not seeing the sun. It lived there for a couple of days before Theodore pulled the box back out from under his bed, hunting down the compass again. He took a good look at it now, running a gentle finger along the side of it. He was shocked at how small it was. Almost comparable to a locket. Opening it for the first time since he had received it, having gotten the letter too close to having to leave for school to do anything at that point, he paused, staring inside.

     His mother must have compared it to a locket as well. On the inside of the cover, across from the compass itself, was a drawing, with the paper cut to fit perfectly into it and likely pasted to stay in place. He didn't know who had drawn it, but the image of his youthful mother next to a boy who could only be Thomas was lively enough that Teddy could feel the energy coming off of it. 

     When was the last time he had seen Thomas smile like that? Teddy honestly couldn't say.

     He was careful as he closed it, putting the chain around his neck and letting the compass drop down into his shirt, settling over his heart.

Theodore,

     I know we spoke of Alice briefly when I was at Downton, and I've since been thinking I would like you to meet her. I'm sure you're a busy person, but I would be pleased if you could make it out to London sometime next weekend, around the 30th. I'm sure she will be very happy to meet you as well.