Getting to Know Jimmy

"So, Jimmy, huh?" Teddy asked his father in their room later that night.

"What about him?" Thomas replied, even though he was quite happy to be talking about James.

"You seem to like him."

"Haven't we already had this conversation?" Teddy stared at his father, waiting for him to turn to face him. It only took Thomas a few seconds to do so, him being curious as to why his son had stopped talking.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Thomas had been spending more and more time with Jimmy, and Teddy would be lying if he said he wasn't starting to be a bit jealous. It was ridiculous, he knew, but true.

"You've just been spending an awful lot of time with him."

"He's been asking me for help with a few things, that's all."

"You didn't help Alfred with anything." It wasn't that Teddy was particularly fond of Alfred, but he was just not sure why Thomas' help seemed to be preserved for James.

"Alfred has his precious auntie to help him." Thomas said, spite evident in his voice. "Besides, Carson likes him. He has people to help him." Teddy nodded, thinking about this.

"Mr. Carson doesn't take very long to form opinions of people, does he?" Teddy could remember how quickly Carson had been to favour Alfred over Jimmy, as well as his opinions of various house maids and other staff who'd come and gone.

"I swear he only took a few days to hate my guts." Thomas replied, causing Teddy to laugh.

"I'm sure it just got even worse when you brought a little three-year-old boy here too." Teddy replied, although he was starting to worry that that might be the case. Carson didn't seem to like him very much either.

"Whether it did or not, I am so glad to have that boy." Teddy smiled and Thomas gave him a small smile back before checking the time.

"I have to go dress his lordship now. You stay out of trouble." Teddy laughed and nodded.

"I'll try."

Jimmy was playing piano again as Teddy walked downstairs. The upstairs dinner had finished, which meant that Jimmy and Alfred were practically done their work for the day.

Curiously, Teddy made his way towards Jimmy and the piano. He recognized the melody of the song, but what caught his attention were the pages Jimmy was reading to play it.

As Jimmy finished the song, Teddy found the courage in him to finally ask about it.

"How do you read that?" Jimmy looked up at him and smiled a bit, moving over on the piano bench and motioning for Teddy to sit next to him.

"I'll show you." Teddy smiled a bit and sat on the bench, watching as Jimmy picked up the music to show him.

Jimmy proceeded to show Teddy all of the basics. The differences between the treble and bass clefs, what notes went where on the music and piano, time signatures, and tempos. Teddy hadn't exactly expected Jimmy to actually show him all of this, but he was quite happy to learn it.

Thomas came back down and walked into the servants' hall. He froze for a moment when his eyes landed at the piano, where Jimmy sat with his son, both looking down at a piece of paper, Jimmy pointing things out on it.

He watched as Teddy said something that caused Jimmy to laugh, and couldn't help but feel his heart swell up in his chest.

Jimmy and Teddy were still talking about an hour later. They'd moved from the piano bench to the table, sitting across from each other and just talking about anything.

"What kind of things do you do then? It's clearly not music." Teddy laughed a bit and shrugged.

"I spend a lot of time with my friends, but other than that I like reading and writing." He replied, thinking. "My friends want me to join the cricket team for school. I'm not sure I will though."

"Why not? I like cricket."

"It's just not my thing, I suppose. I'm bad at sports. Always have been."

"Maybe you just need the practice." Teddy shrugged, thinking about this.

"Maybe." Teddy was still waiting for his father to give him some of those promised tips, but, alas, that had yet to happen.

"Well, I think you should at least try. Worst case scenario, you don't make the team."

"I hadn't thought about it like that." Jimmy smiled and nodded. They sat in silence for a moment before Jimmy spoke again.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, why are you here?" Teddy frowned a bit and looked at Jimmy.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you said your dad works here, but where's your mother? Why aren't you with her?"

"Oh," Teddy said in realization. For a second he considered sugar coating it, but Jimmy had asked the question, so he should get the real answer.

"My mum passed away when I was three. I've been here ever since." Jimmy's face fell. This had clearly not been what he was expecting.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize-"

"Don't worry about it." Teddy shrugged. "It's been eight years, nearly nine. I barely remember her anyway."

"I'm still sorry to hear that though." Jimmy said, looking down at the table. "If it means anything, I don't really have any family left, so..." Teddy nodded, looking down as well.

As if Thomas had sensed the sudden change of mood between them, he walked into the room again.

"Ted, time for bed." Teddy looked up at his father and sighed.

"Do I have to? It's not like I have school tomorrow."

"Theodore."

"Alright. Night Jimmy." James gave Teddy a nod as the boy rose from his seat and made his way up to bed. Thomas watched his son go upstairs before going and taking a seat by the fireplace, glancing at Jimmy as he did so.