The Levellers

Their time together was bound to be limited.

     Everett was due to head back to Eton on September 4th, while Abigail was forced to await her father's return from his business trip, doing her best to escape her cousin in the meantime. 

    As such, the group had taken to spending as much time together as possible while summer was still in sight. Whether at their place in the woods, the Wilson family farm or, on occasion, downstairs of Downton Abbey, they were together constantly. A unit that was, for the time being, unbreakable. 

    It was during the aftermath of the turnover into September that the group sat at the table in the servants' hall, occupied only by them, Baxter, Molesley, and a handful of maids, snacking on biscuits supplied by Daisy as they discussed some global events from the year before. 

     "I mean, I face problems here. But events like that make me glad to not be there. As bad as that might sound," Percy said, then snapped the biscuit in his hands in half, putting one half in his mouth.

     "It doesn't sound bad at all," Abi reassured him. 

     "I didn't even know that that had happened in Tulsa," Everett added, eyebrows furrowed. "Where even is Tulsa?" 

     "Oklahoma," Percy replied. "I mean, there wasn't even a reason behind it, as far as I'm aware. Unless being Black is one."

     "Percy," Teddy said, shaking his head. "I'm so sorry I didn't know about this sooner."

     The news that there had been a massacre in the United States over a year ago had certainly shocked him. Especially after Percy had gone on to explain that the victims were a Black community, apparently one of the wealthiest ones in the country. 

     He didn't know how long Percy had known about this, but as Percy replied by waving him off, Teddy relaxed just a little.

     "It wasn't something that concerned you."

     "It should concern us," Theodore replied. "It should concern everyone. How many innocent people have to be hurt before something is done to help them?"

     "That's the problem, Ted." Percy bit into his biscuit, chewed, then swallowed before continuing. "They don't view us as people."

     "They bloody well should!" Everett exclaimed, slamming his fists on the table. "You deserve just as much rights as everyone else!"

     "Exactly!" Abi exclaimed, pointing at Everett. "Being different does not make someone less human!"

     "Excuse me-" All four of them turned their heads at the sound of Carson's voice. Teddy stood from his chair instinctively, waiting for the butler to continue. "I understand that you Levellers are having a discussion, but perhaps you could lower your voices."

     Aware of who Carson's favourite was, the group all looked at Everett. Teddy almost laughed at the thought. If only Carson knew more about Everett than who his father was.

     "Of course, Mr. Carson. I do apologize. I hope you will forgive all of us."

    "I appreciate your understanding, Master Everett." Carson turned his gaze to Theodore. The two stared for a moment before the man turned and left, allowing Teddy to sit back down.

     "What's a Leveller?" Percy asked, looking between the group. Everett shrugged, Abi shook her head, and Teddy frowned. However, someone jumped in to answer.

      "The Levellers were a political group in the 17th century," Molesley explained, putting up a finger. "They believed in creating equal rights for everyone, especially the right to vote. They supported a few other ideas as well, but they all had something to do with giving rights to the people."