Starlit Heartache

Everett and Percy had been successful in dragging Teddy to the cricket team tryouts. Quite honestly, Teddy was getting excited about it. His father had been so upset the night before, that, if he were to make the team, it could be just the pick-me-up he needed. 

     Everett and Percy had been kind enough to give him a few tips, and even some practice at the Wilsons' farm between class and the try-outs. He'd much improved, especially after Mr. Wilson came out and gave him some assistance as well. By the end of their little practice session, Teddy was thoroughly convinced that he actually had a chance. At least, he was until he arrived. 

     The coach took one look at the trio of boys and shook his head. He strode towards them, pointing a finger at Everett once he arrived. 

     "You can get to the field, Master Everett." Everett nodded and thanked the man, walking around him towards the other boys, with a glance over his should at Teddy and Percy. 

     "You two can head home." Teddy's jaw dropped, looking up at the man. He had not just practiced that hard just to be turned away without a chance. 

      "I'm sorry?" Percy asked, tightly clutching his bat. 

       "I don't need you two on either school team. Go."

       "Why?" Teddy asked, not caring about respect at the moment, as it seemed the coach already had none for them.

        "You want the real reason? Well, in that case, I don't need a bastard and a-" He used that word again. The one that always hurt Percy most. 

         Teddy glared at the man, wanting to have a word with him, but a defeated Percy turned away, and Teddy wasn't about to let him walk home alone. 

          They arrived back at the Wilsons' farm, quite surprising Mr. Wilson, who was outside smoking a cigarette. 

          "You don't look like two boys who were playing cricket."

          "We weren't," Percy said bitterly, storming through the front door of the house. 

          "The coach turned us away without letting us try. Because of our-" Teddy thought for a moment to find the right word. "Backgrounds."

           "That little-" Harry Wilson muttered a few words that Teddy felt he shouldn't repeat anywhere. Except maybe when talking to Saffer. 

           Mr. Wilson walked over to the door of his home and opened it, calling generally to just inside. 

           "Percy, get out here. And bring your bat." It took a couple of minutes, but Percy eventually came out, glancing between his father and Teddy. 

           "What?"

           "We're going to get you two on a cricket team." And with that, Mr. Wilson was escorting them back to the try outs. 

            "Hey! You!" He walked them over to the coach. The boys who had been there from the start seemed to be taking a break, having split into groups. Everett had found a group of other boys, but Teddy noticed his attention being moved towards them. 

            "Can I help you?" The coach asked. Wilson stood in front of him. For some reason, it helped Teddy to know that Wilson was taller than the man, and seemed to have a stronger build as well. His time on the farm was paying off for them. 

            "You tell these boys they can't play cricket?" 

             "Well-"

             "Listen, I don't know what explanation is about to leave your mouth, but I'm willing to bet that it's not a good one. Don't even try to tell me that you're shielding them from bullies, or that you had too many boys try out. Because that's not why you did it."

            "What do you want then?"

             "I want you to give these two boys the same chance you're giving all of them." Mr. Wilson motioned out to the many boys on the field, who all seemed to be listening to this exchange now. 

             "We've already started. How am I supposed to fit them into it all?"

             "They were here on time. So that's for you to figure out." Mr. Wilson turned to them and nodded. "Good luck boys."

             It hadn't taken long for the coach to come up with a team. Just a couple of hours later, he'd posted the list for the boys to go look at. 

             Teddy knew for sure that Percy would make it. Once he'd actually been able to play, the coach had been quite impressed by him. Everett was quite good as well and had been there the whole time. So, as Teddy approached the papers, it was no surprise when both of their names had been written down. 

             Doubtful of his name even being there, he scanned the first list. He could see Saffer's name there, as well as some of his friends, and Teddy found himself quite happy to not be on the list with them. The next list, for the other team, had Percy's name right close to the top. The coach had probably put the best kids up first, so Teddy dropped his eyes down to the middle, and kept reading. Nothing. 

             "Well done." He said to his friends. "You'll have fun."

             "What do you mean?" Everett asked. "We all will." Confused, Teddy looked up at the list again, this time reading all the names from the beginning. 

               There, three names down from Percy, was his name. Theodore Knighton, plain for him to see. A smile made its way onto his face, as he turned to look at his friends. 

               "I made it too." 

              "Yeah, you did!" Everet said, putting an arm around him. Percy smiled at them, and together, they all walked away from the field, an accomplished group. 

            Teddy's father was in a much fouler mood than he was, that was for sure. Although, Teddy thought this was understandably so.

            "Where have you been?" Thomas asked, his tone curious instead of accusatory. 

            "At the cricket team tryouts. The list already went up." Thomas looked up at him, clearly interested now. 

            "I made the team. Somehow. I'm with Everett and Percy on it." Teddy smiled, and Thomas offered one back. 

            "That great Ted. Incredible." Thomas stared at him for a moment.

            "Is there something you're not telling me?" Thomas shook his head. 

            "No. No, everything alright." Thomas stood from his chair. "The little blonde girl you're friends with came by earlier."

            "Katherine?"

             "Yes. Her. She said she wanted to invite you to look at some constellations or something tonight. You can go if you want." Teddy frowned a bit. 

             "We'll be out pretty late."

             "That's fine. You have fun with your friends."

             Teddy had taken Katherine's offer up in a heartbeat. Together, the pair was sitting up on the roof of her house, looking up at the stars. Teddy listened as Katherine pointed out which constellations were where, and helped him to see the shapes in the stars. 

              The had been sitting silently again when she started a new conversation.

              "Teddy, I have a bit of an odd question for you." 

               "Alright." Teddy had already been looking at her, if he was being honest.

               "Do you know if Everett's interested in anyone? More than just friends." 

                "No. Why?" Katherine glanced away, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. It was just a small movement, but it made Teddy's heart drop. 

               "Well, perhaps you could say some nice things about me to him." Teddy looked away from her, back up to the stars, not bothering to give an answer. 

                He was Orion and she was the Pleiades. He could chase her forever, but he would never catch her.