Traitorous Affairs

tw: swearing

     Hands in his coat pockets, Theodore Barrow stood, staring at the snow-covered shed. Were there leaves on the trees, they would likely be shading him from the sun, which beat down from the sky, reflecting on the sheet of white that blanketed the ground and tree branches. 

    The Levellers' base stared back at him. How long had it been since they had met here? Theodore couldn't remember. Letting out a long breath, he watched as the puff of smoke-like air appeared before his face, swirling before disappearing. If only it were that easy to leave all of this behind. 

     Teddy wasn't sure how to describe how he felt. It had been about twelve hours since Everett and Abigail had walked through Downton Abbey's door. And images of them continued to return to his mind. 

     Close your eyes. Take a breath. Stay calm.

     But why should he have to stay calm? 

     Everett knew. What had happened to those mutual understandings that friends made without having to say it? Everett knew how Teddy felt for Abi, and yet he had gone and-

     Betrayal. That was the word.

     After everything. How could he turn around, grab Theodore by the heart, and rip it in half? 

     A streak of warmth made its way down his cheek. Teddy reached a gloved hand up to wipe the tear away. The gloves were honestly too big for him, but Jimmy had left them behind, and Teddy would have been damned before he let them get thrown out. They wouldn't have fit Thomas anyway.

     God, he wished one of them was here. 

     The crunching of snow behind him caused Teddy to turn.

     "I wondered who was out here," Eleanor said as she walked toward him. Teddy gave her best attempt at a smile, unable to think of another response.

     They both stood quietly, Eleanor seemingly on the verge of saying something. She paused, looking away and biting her lip before turning back.

    "I assume you know more than I thought," Teddy said, hoping this would convince her to speak her mind.

     "You mean Everett and Abigail?" Teddy glanced at the ground, then nodded. Eleanor sighed, taking Teddy by the arm. "Let's walk and talk."

     And so they did, Eleanor leading Teddy through the trees. He stayed quiet for the most part, Eleanor saying enough for the both of them.

     "I only found out yesterday. Percy too. He's furious at Ev about it, though he wouldn't tell me why."

     "Ev knew," Teddy said, hoping Eleanor would gather his meaning.

      "I wondered. Honestly, I'm more upset with Abi. I can't imagine what she sees in him. I mean, Abi is a total babe."

     "Not in a joking mood? That's alright. I understand. I mean, it makes sense that you're upset. You've been stuck on Abi since I moved here-"

     "Wait, what?"

     "Teddy, please. You have loved Abi since we were at most eleven-"

     "No. No, I was thirteen." Elenor gave him a skeptical look, so Teddy quickly continued. "It couldn't have been eleven! I liked Katherine when we were twelve."

     "Keyword. Liked. You thought Katherine was pretty and sweet. You knew that you were at the age where you should start getting those feelings. You were also at the age where it was easier to recognize that Katherine is pretty than to realize you have feelings for your best friend. Am I wrong?"