Cars and Courtenay

Theodore was watching Mr. Branson work on the family car, as there was, apparently, something wrong with it. Teddy had to admit, he knew nothing about cars, but he still enjoyed watching the man work; he was in his element, and Teddy thought that was a very fine thing. His father had started working at the local hospital with Dr. Clarkson and Lady Sybil. Although, he supposed that he should be calling her Nurse Crawley now, as wrong as it felt. He was glad that his father was working with her, as he liked Lady Sybil for multiple reasons. First, she had been the one to teach him long words and, although that had been a few years ago, Teddy still had great memories of it. Another reason, one that fewer people knew of, was her kindness to him after his father left for the war. For a while, every time she saw him she would make sure he was alright. If she'd had time, she might even ask if he had heard from his father recently, which Teddy highly appreciated.

     As far as Teddy knew, everyone at Downton was fond of Lady Sybil, including Mr. Branson, who he was still watching work. Although Teddy had no interest in cars, he sometimes wondered what it was like being a chauffeur. He supposed it might be lonelier than being a footman, as Mr. Branson didn't have other chauffeurs to work with, but he also thought it might be quite interesting. 

      Teddy was deep into his thoughts of what Mr. Branson's job was like when the man pulled him back to reality. 

     "There we are," Branson spoke to himself as he finally came out from under the car. Teddy held a wrench in his hands, sitting on the stool in the corner, not saying anything. He had been here for a while, and he was fairly certain that Branson knew he was still here, but the man hadn't acknowledged him since he'd arrived. And, if Teddy was quite honest, he was fine with that. Mr. Branson had work to do, and Teddy had thinking to do. Teddy's thinking was often interrupted when he was inside or in the servant's courtyard. This was a good place for them both to fulfill those jobs. 

     Teddy hopped down from the stool, placing the wrench back where he'd found it. Grabbing his hat from the bench, he placed it on his head and smiled at the chauffeur. 

     "I should go, but thank you for letting me stay." He said with a smile, which the chauffeur returned with a nod.

     "'Course. Good day, Teddy."

     "Good day Mr. Branson," Teddy said, walking out of the garage and, instead of going to the house, deciding to go into the village. His father was quite fine with him doing so, as long as he wasn't causing any trouble, so why not?

     "I heard that Fredrick Nelson has finally grown up and went to fight," Abi said from where she was dangling from a tree, rather unladylike, but Teddy didn't mind. It was just the two of them today, as Everett was busy with his family and Percy had left the day before for London, without giving his friends a reason.

     "Well don't be rude. He had his reasons for staying home." 

     "I suppose, but I just hate to think of all of the brave men risking their lives, well others just stay here safe at home, even though they're perfectly capable." Abi didn't give Teddy much time to reply. "Have you heard that Harriet Price promised to write letters to him?"

     "I'm certainly getting an earful today," Teddy muttered, then spoke up. "Who told you that?"

     "Katherine, of course." Katherine Price was Harriet's younger sister, who just so happened to be the same age as Teddy and Abigail, and in their class at school.

     "Have you been spending a lot of time with her?"

     "A bit. You know my father thinks I should spend more time with girls but, if I'm honest, they're nowhere near as much fun as you boys." Teddy smiled at that, glad that Abigail still preferred them. Katherine was nice, but he didn't want Abigail spending all of her time with her. 

     "I'm sure that the girls aren't as open to Abigail Bennett, Pirate Queen and Great Explorer!" Teddy said, ensuring to put emphasis on the title Abi had given herself.

     "Obviously not. Besides, the Pirate Queen can only spend her time with other great pirates, such as Theodore Barrow, Pirate King and Doctor Extraordinaire." Teddy laughed, looking up at Abigail as she pulled herself into an upright position and hopped down from the tree, sitting next to him. He had to be honest, he'd gotten the idea of being a doctor because of his father's work in the hospital. What could he say, every son looked up to his father at least once in his life. And, besides, after his friends had taken the Knighton out of his name, ("Knighton-Barrow is rather long, isn't it, and besides, I don't think a pirate should have the word 'knight' in his name, that just defeats the purpose!"), he somehow felt even closer to his father than before.

     "And, will the Pirate Queen admit that Theodore is her favourite of the three Pirate Kings?" He asked with a slight smirk. Abi pondered it for a moment before responding.

     "He might be. He is quite smart, after all, and I don't think the other Pirate Kings would be alive without his medical knowledge." Teddy grinned, staring out in front of him. Sometimes, he was glad when it was just the two of them. And this was one of those times.

     Thomas Barrow had been rather quiet for a while now and, now that they were alone, Teddy was determined to find out why.

     "Dad," Teddy said quietly and when that failed to get Thomas' attention, he repeated, a bit louder. "Dad." Thomas turned to look at him, pulling off his uniform coat.

     "Yes?"

     "Are you alright?"

     "Of course. Why are you asking?" Thomas said, folding the coat and placing it on the end of his bed.

     "Because you've been really quiet. You didn't say anything while we were eating, and you came straight up here as soon as you could." Teddy was usually asleep by the time his father came up but, alas, here they were.

     "I-" Thomas looked at Teddy for a moment before sitting down across from him. "Did I tell you about Lieutenant Courtenay?" Teddy thought for a moment.

     "Is he the one with the gas blindness?" 

     "Yes. Well, there's no way to sugarcoat it, he was found dead this morning." Teddy's face fell, he knew that his father had been fond of Lieutenant Courtenay. He had been so upset yesterday when Dr. Clarkson had wanted to make him leave. 

     "I'm sorry." He finally said after processing what his father had said. "But, how?" He didn't think people could just die from being blind.

     "That's not important," Thomas said after a moment of hesitation. "You should get some sleep, you have school tomorrow." Teddy looked at his father for a moment before figuring that he wanted to be alone. So, he nodded and got under the covers on his bed, trying to fall asleep without thinking of what he had just been told.