chapter 38 | temptation

JASMIN MARTINEZ

.•°•.•°•.•°•.

I turned my body so now I was sleeping on my stomach with a pillow in-between my legs. The soft mattress against my body with the silk pillow under my head lured me back to sleep.

Mattress?

I slowly opened my eyes looking around but not moving my head or creating any movement. I was laying on my bed and my eyes glanced towards the couch and I saw Chase's large figure laying down. He wasn't asleep as his one leg kept moving and his hands played with his bracelet on his wrist. His phone rang and he picked it up from the small table.

"Hey, Ev."

"No, I didn't see your message. What is it?" He spoke quietly.

"Yeah I know it's her birthday."

I closed my eyes as I felt my heartbeat start to race. "I don't think she would want us to wish her."

"Because."

"Because I did a lot of bad stuff to her and I know she would like one day to herself." I wouldn't.

I haven't celebrated my birthday in the past five years.

"I know I'm sorry," I heard him move from the couch. "We can always do what we did before."

"You got the picture?"

I slightly opened my eyes and I saw him sitting on the couch. He had his phone in front of him as a faint smile tugged on his lips. "Let's wish her."

The phone was on speaker now, "Happy Birthday, Jaz."

"Happy Birthday, Firefly."

"Chase told me you wouldn't want us to wish you a happy birthday and I blame myself every day for that. I-I think it's because of what happened five years ago. Chase doesn't tell me anything but I know it was my fault. I got kidnapped and it affected your relationship."

"Everleigh, no. It's not your fault. You can't blame yourself for the mistakes I made." He corrected.

"It is, Chase!" She cried out. "I want her in my life but she doesn't want us in hers."

"I do too." He softly whispered. "Ev, it's her birthday. Remember our promise to stay happy on her day?"

"Yes." She sobbed. "Are you with her Chase?"

He glanced towards me and I closed my eyes again. "I am."

"Can I please wish her?" She asked. "I know she probably doesn't want me to because it was my fault your guy's relationship fell off."

"Ev, it was not your fault," He stated. "It just... wasn't meant to be."

"Yes, it is. I know she called me her friend but I know she's lying. She doesn't want to be friends with me, nobody does." Everleigh assumed.

"Everleigh, that's not true. Once she calls someone her friend, she fulfills that friendship till the end. I promise she loves you." It sounded like he was uncertain, almost like he was lying. He said it just so Everleigh doesn't feel lonely. But I do love her.

"Then why doesn't she call me?"

"She doesn't have your number."

"Can you give it to her?" He rubbed his face with his hand. "Please."

"Okay."

"Yay! Now, can I wish her?"

"She's sleeping."