An Incredible Discovery

August 8, 2014, 5:30 pm

Stella Astaire and her boyfriend Kyle Lyrebird parked at the old, dilapidated building. There was already a fancy Lincoln and a U-Haul truck there.

The building had clearly seen better days. The windows have all been boarded up, and any decorations have long been lost or stolen. A crudely spray-painted message read "CARLTON SMELLS LIKE FEET". The sign adorning the faded turquoise roof had missing letters. The doors were large metal slabs that seemed incredibly out of place.

"I can't wait to see them!", said Stella.

"Well, I can.", added Kyle. "If those things are anywhere near as creepy as the pictures, I'm moving out."

Stella lightly punched her boyfriend's arm. "Oh, c'mon. They're cute! They don't hurt people."

"OK, but if they murder us in our sleep, just know that I told you so!", Kyle snarked. Together, they pushed aside the metal doors and walked inside.

____________________________________________________________

The building's interior had not fared any better. Holes in the roof exposed it to the elements. Weeds grew from the cracked checker-floor tiles. Worst of all, it stank. Really bad.

Kyle coughed and gagged as the rancid, musty smell entered his nose. However, Stella seemed immune to the stench. She was too focused on what was at the back...

A shortish, middle-aged man in a fancy suit smoked a fat cigar in front of curtained stages. As he saw the young couple approaching, he waved them over.

"Mr. Hawthorne, y'know I couldn't pass up a deal like this!" Stella called, beaming from ear to ear. "You have them, right?"

Mr. Hawthorne motioned to the stages. "Why don't you see for yourself?"

____________________________________________________________

There were two stages: a large central stage with moldy black curtains, and a smaller stage to the right of it, with moldy purple curtains. Stella stepped onto the central stage, and threw open the black curtains. She gasped excitedly.