The Final Hour

February 27, 1988, 2:18 pm

"We've just finished installing the new Toy animatronics, Mr. Afton," Nolan reported. William looked onstage and smiled.

The Toys were a smaller, more advanced model of animatronic. Instead of being covered in fur, they had thick plastic casings that made them resemble oversized action figures. After an... incident involving a head injury, these were quickly built to replace the defective originals.

Frankly, Nolan thought they were pretty darn ugly.

"Very good," William said.

With that, the two men walked away. Nolan guided William to the Prize Counter. Then, he walked over to the giant present box behind the counter. A wooden control bar on the ceiling dangled metal coils inside the box through holes on the present's top.

"What'll we do with the Puppet?", Nolan asked. "Should we put it Backstage with the others?"

At that question, Nolan swore he saw William's facial expression flicker for a brief second. It changed from its normal tone of smugness to an expression of disgust...or maybe fear? He couldn't tell. It was barely noticeable.

William made an easygoing shrug. "Throw it away," he said with a coolness. "Toss it out into the dumpster. It's been scaring the kids."

Nolan froze. He'd been working with Afton since the days of Fredbear's. Since when Henry was still alive... The Puppet was one of the original animatronics built for that place, and the last one made with Henry's influence.

It felt like the last connection between Then and Now. Between the Golden Days... and the Bloody Days. Nolan suddenly realized how wrong it felt to just throw something like that away.

"Yes, sir," Nolan said. Then, there it was again. That flicker in William's face. This time, it was an expression of relief.

"Good," William said, with some of that relief creeping into his voice. "Tomorrow is garbage day. I want it gone by then." With that, he walked away and left the building.

Nolan looked down at the giant present box for a moment. Then, he turned and called for any of the employees that haven't left yet.

"Aaron!", Nolan cried. At that, a scrappy kid, who was fifteen years Nolan's junior, poked his head out from behind Toy Bonnie.

"Yeah?"

"Could you help me carry this box somewhere?"

"Sure."

Aaron walked off stage and to the Prize Counter. Both men then grabbed the bottom of the present box, and lifted it. They had no trouble picking it up. The box itself was made of a lightweight wood, and the animatronic inside only weighed about sixty pounds.

"Where are we puttin' this thing, anyway?", Aaron asked. Nolan cast a cursory glance across the pizzeria until he found his answer.

"Inside the janitor's closet," he finally answered.

This caused Aaron to stop for a second. He looked over the box to his senior with a confused expression.

"The janitor's closet? Why?", he asked. "Don't we put all the old robots in the back?"

Nolan sighed as he tried to think up an explanation. Then, with a smirk, he answered:

"Well, let's just say this one's special." Nolan felt Aaron shrug, as he felt the box lift slightly on the younger's end.

"Okay, if you say so," Aaron said. With that, the two men began walking the box over to the janitor's closet. The control bar followed along on its ceiling rail.