A Cassandra Truth

August 14, 2014, 7:36 pm

That evening, Stella decided to treat Kyle to dinner at the local Chinese restaurant. Kyle, while pleasantly surprised, was somewhat questioning.

"What made you want this now? You know our anniversary is five months away, right?" He asked. Stella had visible bags under her eyes, a visible sign of sleep deprivation. However, before she could answer, Kyle added: "I mean, I'm not gonna look a gift horse up the mouth. If you want Chinese, we get Chinese."

They arrived, then sat down at one of the only booths. Kyle ordered pork fried rice with sweet-and-sour chicken. Stella simply ordered a small wanton soup, as she wasn't that hungry. She had more anticipation than appetite.

As they ate their food, Stella wanted to scream at Kyle. Every fiber of her being wanted to tell him about the animatronics: how they came to life, tried to kill her, then let her go. Repeating these thoughts, she realized that no rational human being would believe her story. So, she opted to ease Kyle into it.

After they were done, they both went into their car, with Stella taking the wheel. She took a deep breath, then pressed the gas.

"Uh, the apartment's that way." Kyle pointed at the street they just passed. Stella gripped the wheel tightly, mentally rehearsing the next few minutes.

"Yeah, uh, well, I've got something really important to show you." Stella stumbled.

"What is it? No, wait, don't tell me. It's a surprise, isn't it?" Kyle furrowed his eyebrows, trying to guess what his girlfriend could possibly be up to. Stella shrugged.

"Well, I guess it is. All I can say is, this is something you have to see to believe."

* * *

8:15 pm

They stopped at the storage facility. Kyle raised a brow.

"Okay?" He squeaked. Stella unbuckled her seatbelt and got out. Kyle followed. As they traveled the facility's hallways, he turned to face her.

"This is about the Freddy Fazbear robots, isn't it?" He asked, with an edge of fear in his voice.

"Yeah, about that..." Stella sighed. When they got to their storage unit, she turned to face her partner. Before she could even think, it all came spilling out.

"Okay,solastnightIwasworkingonFreddy,right?Then,thepowerwent out,soIcheckedtoseewhathappened.Then,Bonnie,Chica,andFoxy allcameoutandtriedtokillme.ThankgoodnessFreddysavedmeor elseI'dbedead,so-"

"Woah, woah, woah, back it up! What are you saying?" Kyle interrupted Stella's strangely hushed rambling.

"The animatronics, Kyle! They're alive!", Stella whisper screamed.

"C'mon, man. You shouldn't joke about that stuff. You know how much those things freak me out." Kyle crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow. He studied Stella's face. Despite the strange situation she just described, she seemed dead serious.

"N-no! It really happened! They really came to life, and-and-" Stella took the key out from her pocket and unlocked the door. "J-just see for yourself!"

Before Kyle could protest, Stella bent down, grabbed the door handle, and flung it open at full force. The two stared into the dark pod, Stella breathing heavily and Kyle cringing at the awful scent emanating from it. Stella quickly stepped inside and quickly flicked open the light.

There stood Bonnie, Chica, Foxy, and Freddy. However, they did not seem as lifelike as they did last night. They looked about as lifeless as lifeless can be: their arms hung limply at their sides, with their heads slightly bowed and jaws hanging open. Bonnie had returned to sitting on his log, guitar in paws.

"G-guys? Freddy?" Stella called. She was sweating bullets. She cautiously approached Freddy. She quickly raised her hand and tapped him on the side. No reaction. Stella kept patting Freddy, each pat becoming harder and harder. Still nothing.

Stella looked back at Kyle. He was standing a safe distance away from the animatronics, an incredulous look on his face. Stella realized that she looked like she had completely lost her marbles. As she was slowly dying inside from embarrassment, she spotted the camera on the tripod.

Oh, right. I left the camera here when I was running away, Stella thought as she walked over to the camera. Then, she started laughing uncomfortably.

"Oh, darn! My prank didn't work!" Stella lied. "I programmed these guys to jump out and scream in your face. But, I guess a wire was loose or something." Kyle visibly relaxed. Stella lifted the tripod and headed to the exit. "Camera was out of juice, anyway."

They both exited the pod. However, as Kyle walked ahead, Stella stopped at the doorway and turned back. As she stared back at the lifeless animatronics, a thought came to her: Was it all a dream? She looked at the camera in her hands. Only this thing could tell.

After taking one last look inside, Stella grabbed the door and slammed it shut.