Facing his Fear

August 22, 2014, 7:45 pm

"Off to see your animatronic friends again?" That was what Kyle grumbled as Stella was going to bed. She turned around.

Being put on the spot, Kyle stammered. Taking a deep breath, he stated.

"It's just that we don't do anything anymore! When you're not at work, you're either fixing those things or looking them up!" Kyle fell on the couch and sighed. "I'm feeling alone here."

Guilt coursed through Stella. She sat by her boyfriend.

"I'm sorry, baby," she said quietly. "It's just, these past few days have been real crazy. So much stuff is happening that I just ... forgot."

Just then, Stella's face lit up. Kyle knew what this meant: she got an idea.

"I got it!", she declared. She turned to Kyle. "Why don't you formally meet them?"

Kyle did a double take. "What?"

* * *

August 23, 2014, 2:15 am

Kyle and Stella were driving to the storage facility.

"So, lemme get this straight," Kyle asked. "The animatronics are actually possessed by the souls of dead children?"

Stella nodded solemnly. "Yep. And their spirits can't rest until their killer's been caught."

Kyle raised his eyebrows. That explained a lot. Kyle wouldn't admit it, but the explanation also made the animatronics less scary.

* * *

2:23 am

Stella and Kyle walked through the storage facility's long hallways. 

"How come they only call each other by their robot names?", Kyle asked. "Why don't they call each other by their real names?"

"I don't know," Stella answered. "I guess they've just been stuck for so long, that they forgot their own names." She turned to her lover.

"They aren't that bad once you get to know them," Stella assured Kyle. "In fact, I think you'll like them quite a bit! Freddy's the most chill."

BANG!

Right as they reached their pod, the door banged loudly. Kyle leapt back. Stella gave an apprehensive look to the door. Kyle knew that meant she was hearing what they were saying. After a moment, she opened the door.

* * *

2:24 am

Foxy and Bonnie were wrestling on the floor. It seemed like Bonnie was losing.

"C'mon, Bonnie!", Chica cheered. "Don't let this loser overpower you!" Foxy twisted Bonnie's arm behind his back.

"Ow, ow!", the bunny squealed. He used his free hand to slap the floor. "Uncle, uncle!" Foxy smiled at his apparent victory.

Meanwhile, Freddy sat on Bonnie's log, reading a book. Looking up, he noticed Stella and Kyle standing by the entrance. Kyle stood behind Stella, looking mortified.

Freddy shoved the book aside and strode to the dueling duo.

"Guys, cut it out!", the bear said.

"Why, it's just Stel-", Foxy stopped when he saw Kyle. He loosened his grip on Bonnie. The bunny pushed the fox off.

"What is it?", Bonnie asked. He turned and saw Kyle. "Oh."

"Oh shi-", Kyle muttered. He hid behind Stella as soon as the animatronics' eyes fell upon him. She lightly pulled him out.

"It's okay," she told him quietly. Then, with her arm on Kyle's, she faced the animatronics.

"Guys," Stella addressed. She now had the animatronics' full attention. "This is Kyle, my boyfriend! You- erm- remember him right?"

Foxy laughed. "Yaharr! Now I have a second chance to-!" Freddy nudged him hard on the side. "Oof! I was just kiddin'!"

Stella turned to Kyle. "I know you got off on a bad foot, but please give them a chance," she said quietly. 

Bonnie was about to leap at him, but Freddy stopped him. Taking a deep breath, the bear slowly approached the couple. He kept his paws up to signify his harmless intentions. Despite his bulky stature, he made no sound whatsoever.

"That's the friendly one, right?", Kyle asked Stella nervously. Stella wanted to say they were all friendly to an extent. But, noticing how on edge her boyfriend was, she just nodded.

Freddy stopped in front of them. Stella looked over to her boyfriend. Kyle stared nervously at the bear.

Stella could see that Freddy himself seemed awfully uncomfortable. Both Kyle and the bear stood there, staring at each other. Awkward seconds, minutes passed.

Eventually, Kyle worked up the nerve to creep up to Freddy. He held out his shaking hand.

"W-well, hello uh, Mr. Fazbear," Kyle awkwardly greeted. Stella heard Foxy snicker in the back.

"An' I thought Freddy was a wuss," the fox snarked. Chica jabbed him at the arm. "Ow! Just kiddin'!" 

Freddy stepped forward slowly, looking at Kyle's hand. Then, he lunged. Kyle yelped as the bear suddenly entrapped him in a bear hug.

Stella shot the bear an incredulous look. "Freddy, what was that?", she cried.

Freddy seemed just as surprised as she did. "I-I don't know!", he answered. He stared down at his "prey". "I think it's leftover programming, from when I would automatically hug kids who looked scared!"

Freddy released his grip. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry!", the bear apologized, even though Kyle couldn't hear him. But, the grownup didn't let go.

Kyle had extended his own arms, and wrapped them around Freddy. He couldn't help rubbing his hand against the bear's back.

"His fur is so soft," Kyle murmured. "He's weirdly warm, too." He finally let go. "It's like hugging a blanket." Freddy looked at him with uncertainty.

Cracking a small smile, Kyle patted the bear's arm. "Maybe you're not so bad, big guy."

Freddy breathed a sigh of relief, and smiled. Seeing Kyle's approval, the other animatronics came to him. Kyle backed up.

"Woah, woah, woah!", Kyle said. "Just because I'm alright with the big man, doesn't mean I'm ready for y'all yet." He pointed at Foxy. "Especially you!"

Foxy shrugged. "Why me? It's not like I tried to bite yer head off or somethin'-" Chica nudged him again. "Oof, just kiddin' again! Yeesh!"