Go! Go! Go!

August 15, 2014, 10:20 pm

The laundromat that Kyle and Stella would frequent was a dingy old place. It was a small one-story building. The outer walls were a dirty shade of sandy brown. The lights in its "HURRICANE SUDS" sign flickered. Heaving the full basket, Kyle stepped through the glass doors.

Despite being a place to clean clothes, the inside wasn't exactly the cleanest. The walls were a plain beige color, with anomalous stains here and there. A fine layer of dust covered everything. Spider webs dangled between the washing machines. One day, Stella had sworn she saw a rat dashing through the checkered green and white floor tiles.

Kyle put five dollars into the change machine, and received many quarters. He put three quarters into one of the washing machines, then put all of the clothes in. After setting the machine to wash for an hour, he stood by. With much time to kill, he walked over to the old arcade machine.

At the corner of the laundromat, there stood an old upright arcade game from the early eighties

At the corner of the laundromat, there stood an old upright arcade game from the early eighties. It must have been around longer than Kyle has been alive. The title sign read "SEA BILL'S BOAT ADVENTURE". The side art depicted a cute cartoon pelican wearing a paper hat.

With his generous amount of spare change, Kyle put quarters into it and started playing.

The gameplay is simple. You play as the pelican as he gathers boat parts and avoids evil mushrooms. Playing this many times, Kyle passed the first few levels with ease. He muttered a swear as he was trapped by an enemy. When his in-game character died, something strange happened.

The game emitted a high pitched whine as the screen turned into static. Kyle did a double take. He jiggled the joystick and mashed the buttons. Nothing.

I guess this thing is finally kicking the bucket, he thought. As he turned to back to his washing machine, the static stopped. The game started making strange noises. Kyle turned back to the machine. He froze in shock.

The game had completely changed

The game had completely changed. The magic fairy land the pelican traveled was replaced by a dark place with a checkered floor. The mushrooms were changed into crude sprites of children. Finally, the pelican was replaced by what looked like a red fox wearing brown pants. Kyle stared at the screen in confusion.

"What is this?", he heard himself saying out loud. Did I find some kind of Easter egg?, he wondered.

READY!, flashed white text on the screen. Kyle grabbed the joystick. GO! GO! GO!

He pushed the joystick to the right. The fox stepped off the platform and walked towards the people. Right in front of them, he suddenly stopped. Pixelated fireworks erupted in the corners. The people cheered, while the white text said: HURRAY!

Once again, Kyle looked at the screen in confusion. He didn't even understand what was going on, let alone the point of this game. However, before he could ponder further, the next level started.

Once again, the fox stood on his platform, overlooking the smiling people

Once again, the fox stood on his platform, overlooking the smiling people. The colors were now darker, though that could just be the screen dimming. Among the children was now a  tall, purple man. Kyle didn't know what that could mean.

READY!, said the white text. Kyle gripped the joystick. He wanted to see this through, perhaps to understand it. GO! GO! GO!

Once again, Kyle guided the fox off his platform and towards the crowd. This time, the game let him get closer. Kyle kept pushing right. Eventually, the fox made it to the purple man. Kyle wasn't prepared for what happened next.

The fox opened his long snout, then bit down on the purple man's head. Red pixels spilled out of the man's neck. The mood instantly changed. Instead of cheering, the people around widened their eyes in presumed horror. Some even started crying. This tonal whiplash was worsened by the fireworks appearing again. HURRAY!, said the white text.

Kyle was completely stunned by what happened. He questioned what he was seeing. Did somebody hack this?, he thought. Before he could fully process what he saw, the next level started.

The fox appeared in a different place this time. He was in what looked like a small city, with buildings in the background. It was nighttime, so the lights were on and the moon hung high. Standing behind the fox was what looked like a blue rabbit.

READY!, the white text commanded. Kyle hesitated. After that last level, he didn't know what to expect from this bizarre game. Eventually, he gathered the nerve to grab the joystick. GO! GO! GO!

Kyle guided the fox to the right, as always. The rabbit was following him. Kyle turned left. The rabbit did the same. Who are you?, Kyle asked. After taking a deep breath, he continued right.

The fox and the rabbit kept walking. Eventually, they made it to a familiar looking building. They walk inside.

The inside had beige walls and a white and green checkered floor. Washing machines lined the walls. Kyle felt a pit form in his stomach. No way ... , he thought. But, he forced himself to keep going.

As the fox and rabbit kept going, Kyle noticed that they were slowing down. Even with the joystick turned all the way right, they just kept getting slower and slower. Then, they stopped at the end.

At the edge of the building stood a frowning man facing what looked like an ... arcade machine. Kyle's skin chilled. The sprite looked just like him. The arcade was the same color as the one he was playing. Just as he started to back away from the game, Kyle heard it.

The clicking of metal joints. The hissing of hydraulics. Two pairs of footsteps slowly approaching him.