Party

I packed my bags up, today was the last day of the internship. I hated to admit it, but that stupid bag of hot air Endeavor had actually helped a lot in terms of control over my flames.

I walked to the door, bag in tow. Shoto and Endeavor were waiting there. "Um..." I said. "Bye Todo, I'll see you in school tomorrow." I shook his hand. "And Endeavor... thanks for the training." I grumbled.

"You're welcome Ember. You are welcome to come back here any time during your internships, and there will always be an open position for you to work here after you graduate, should you wish to work for my agency." He paused. "Additionally, I'd like to invite you to join me and Shoto, along with your friends of course, to dinner at our home tomorrow."

"Not gonna lie, that's suspicious. But, I'll see if I can make it." I lied. There was no way in hell I was going to that place. Over my dead body.

I got in a car that dropped me off at home, I was glad to be back. Izu was waiting outside for me though. "Why aren't you inside?" I asked.

"Dunno, Mom said to wait here, I haven't been let in yet." He replied.

"Huh, that's weird." I said and knocked on the door. "MoMmMmMm let us in!"

"Oh! Coming Anika!" Mom sing-songed and threw the door open, revealing a whole bunch of people. "Surprise!!!"

"Oh wow!" We exclaimed and hugged Mom. When she released us I looked at the guests, noticing a familiar blonde hair, slicked to the side. I bit back a ugly laugh. "Oh my God Katsuki what happened to you?" I fumbled for my phone and walked over to him.

"Shut up Rats it's stuck like this from Best Jeanist!" He growled. "No pictures!"

I snapped the photo and bit back another burst of giggles. "This is so getting sent to the group chat!"

"I'll kill you Rats!"

"What happened to calling me Anika?" I asked in a teasing drawl.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." He said quickly. Was his face red with anger or embarrassment? I couldn't tell. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever Blasty."

~Bakugou's POV~

When Anika had taken the picture I had forced myself not to smile. I didn't know why I kept up the pointless charade of pretending I was annoyed, but I did. After she had gotten her picture and successfully sent it to the groupchat- I knew she had by the buzzing in my pocket- I sighed and looked away.

She frowned. "I'm sorry if that really upset you..." She muttered.

I raised my eyebrows. "Tch, why are you apologizing?"

"Well you-"

"Don't apologize for anything." I said, rather harshly.

"Oh..." She said. I growled in frustration. Why couldn't I just talk to her? "I'm gonna go." I said.

"Wait! Where are you going?" She called.

"Home." I said gruffly.

Her expression turned down, and a knot formed in my chest. What a fucking softie. I told myself. She's just upset.

"I thought maybe you'd stay a while, but whatever. I guess you have something to blow up." She muttered.

I growled. Why did she have to be such a smartass? This stupid, beautiful, incredible girl was going to be the death of me. I knew that much for sure. When did things change?

I’d always respected the brat, much as I hated to admit it. It was hard not to, she was completely and utterly capable in whatever she chose to do. It had really changed with the high-five that day in Ground Beta. That had sparked our… ceasefire I guess you’d call it. Then Shitty Hair, Raccoon Eyes, Dunce Face, and Office Depot started having us all hang out together- not that I enjoyed it- and we became… friends. Then… there was the attack on the USJ Training Center… Dunce Face wasn’t the only one who realised he had feelings for her then. “Tch, whatever. I’ll stay, but not because you want me to.”

She beamed. I looked away. God if only things had gone differently. She hates you. You bullied her brother on countless occasions for something he couldn’t control. I reminded myself. “Thanks Katsuki.” she hummed.

“If I didn’t know better, Kacchan, I’d say you have a soft spot for my sister.” Deku suddenly spoke from behind me. Oh I was gonna end up strangling Deku I swear. “Shut the fuck up Deku.” I snapped.

“Katsuki, calm down.” Anika said, and I felt the dull numbing sensation wash over me, like being coated in oil. That was how it always felt when she used her quirk on me. “Whatever…” I muttered.

Deku snickered and gave me one last look, which seemed to scream ‘Tell her or I will.’ then turned around and headed towards the kitchen.

“You know there’s no need to be pissy Boom Boom Boy.” Anika said casually. “Or is it past your nap time?”

“Oh shut up Rats, wanna fight?” I said. Why did it have to be so attractive for her to put me in my place like that?

“I’ve been wanting a rematch since the Sports Fastival. You got lucky.” she stepped toward me with a smirk.

“God you’re annoying, luck had nothing to do with it, I’m just better.” I said and crossed my arms, stepping in.

“You love it when I’m annoying.” she countered, leaning forward. She was way too fucking close, and I felt my cheeks heat up slightly, but couldn’t back down now. “Maybe I do.” I replied, leaning in as well.

She turned bright red and pulled away abruptly, turning away and sputtering. Ha, I win. “What’s wrong Rats, out of counters?”

“Shut up you stupid fucking Pomeranian.” she muttered. I bit back a laugh. She turned back around after a moment and smiled. “So I was right, you do like it when I’m annoying.”

“I didn’t confirm anything.” I replied.

“You didn’t deny it either.” she countered. I shook my head. “Whatever Rats.”

“Seriously though, what happened to Anika?” she asked.

I didn’t respond out loud, but in my mind I said, ‘I can’t call you that, not after the way I’ve treated you, the way I treated Deku.’ She waited a moment for a response then nodded. “Well, I’ll be in my room unpacking.” She turned and left.

After about 10 minutes I was so bored I couldn’t stand it any more. She was the only thing that had been entertaining me. I went to where I knew her room was and knocked on the door.

She opened it with a smile. “Hi, I figured you’d come here.”

Okay, you got this Katsuki, just be upfront. I told myself. “Tch, hi.” You fucking failure. Why are you always a dick?

“What’s up your ass?” she asked, gesturing for me to come in.

“Nothing is wrong Rats, just drop it.” I stepped into the room, assaulted by the clashing of the sides. One was full-on decked out with All Might merch, and the other had only minor decoration. A shelf lined with shonen and shōjo manga, on top of the shelf some disheveled papers and a dusty jewelry box. A soft purple bedspread atop her futon with a tiny short legged table next to it. Her duffle bag with clothes from the internship sat on the futon.

“Wow rude, can’t you trust me?” she asked.

I sighed. “It’s just, nothing. Nevermind.”

“Wow, conflicting emotions. I wasn’t aware you could pull off any feeling but anger.”

“Whatever, I’m leaving. I’m going home. Tell the old hag.” I said and started walking to the door.

“Katsuki wait! I didn’t mean to offend you!” she called, chasing after me.

I whirled around. “What the FUCK do you want from me Rats?!”

“I-” She blinked a few times, taken aback by my sudden agression. "Fuck you."

"God!" I screamed and turned away, throwing my hands up. "I hate you!" I raked my hands through my hair. "I love you! I hate that I love you!" There was silence for a moment, then I realised what I said. There was nothing I could do about it now.