Part 22

A few weeks had passed since the testing. Izuku had invited me out to go shopping with the Dekusquad, so we were enjoying the time out at the mall before we had to get to work.

I went into a shop with Iida and Tsu, looking for a good first aid kit. Uraraka had gone off with Izu to find us some taiyaki as a treat.

A few minutes later, I left the store with 2 medicine kits. One for me, and one for Izu.

My eyes quickly ran through the crowd of people in the mall, looking for Izuku so I could give him his kit and keep our things separate. I spotted him across the way, near a bench, talking to some guy in a dark hoodie. Must have been a fan from internships or the Sports Festival.

Cutting through the crowds of people took a lot longer than I thought it would, and by the time I got over there, the man was gone. Izuku had sat down and seemed really shaken up.

"Hey, you okay, bro? You don't look so well." I said softly, crouching down to get a good look at him.

"I- I just spoke to Tomura Shigaraki." Izuku breathed out softly, his voice shaky and uncertain.

"What?" I reacted instantly, looking quickly around at the throngs of people, trying to spot that same dark hood that I'd seen next to him minutes before.

"No use, he's gone." Izuku mumbled. "Uraraka almost got hurt by him just now. She noticed I seemed stressed and asked what was wrong. He threatened to disintegrate her."

I sat down on the bench, putting my arm around him. "What can I do, Izu? How can I help? You're really shaken up."

"I- I don't know. Just give me a minute, please. We can continue shopping once I get my composure."

"Hey, hey. No pressure. I got the last of the stuff on the list."

Izuku nodded a bit. "I think we should head back, I need to let the police know about this." He seemed to regain his composure a bit.

I tapped him lightly on the back and stood up, offering him my hand, which he took. "Let's go let them know, then get you home."

He nodded in agreement, and we headed to the police station, Uraraka joining us.

I waited in the reception area with Uraraka in silence while Izu was being questioned. To be completely honest, I was irritated with her. How could she call herself Izu's friend and not recognize he'd been being held at the quirk equivalent of gunpoint? This was just another reason she was entirely incompetent and couldn't be counted on to help Izu when it really mattered.

Getting tangled in my own thoughts and irritation, I didn't notice Uraraka saying my name until she tapped my wrist.

"Anika?" She asked. "Are you okay?"

I didn't respond, just stared at her blankly. She removed her hand from my wrist.

"I just wanted to say.... I'm sorry. I should have noticed that he was in trouble and been able to help."

Continuing to stare, I tried to tell if she was being genuine. If she wasn't, there was no clear indication of it. I let out a small sigh and nodded in acknowledgment to her apology.

Right as I opened my mouth to reply, Mom came clamoring into the station, looking around. She spotted me and came right over. "Where is your brother? Why is he always getting in these situations?"

"He's inside there, getting questioned. And, to be honest, I don't know." I replied, turning my focus to her completely, forgetting Uraraka. "He's okay Mom, just shaken up."

"I'm grateful he wasn't hurt. I'm not sure I want you two going to this camp anymore, let alone that school... sending you there puts you in danger, and I could not bear it if something happened to you two. My heart would just break." She hugged me tightly.

"What? Mom, you can't be serious! It's been our dream since we were little to go to UA. You can't take that from us!" 

"I just want you to be safe!" She blubbered out, on the verge of tears. I pulled away from her hug. "I know Mama, but you'll only hurt us by keeping us from our dreams. We can protect ourselves, I swear. I won't leave Izuku's side at all at camp."

After several moments of quiet, Mom sniffled and muttered a soft, "Okay."

"Thank you Mom." I replied, standing and giving her a tight hug. "We will be safe. We have the pros to protect us as well."

Just then, Izuku came out of the office, and Mom pulled him into our hug with a kiss on his forehead. "I'm so glad you're okay Izuku!"

After a moment she released us and went to speak with the police.

All Might came in a few seconds later. "Young Midoryia, I would like to speak to you in private."

Izuku gave me a glance and I nodded. I trusted the #1 hero enough to know Izu would be in no danger. After they left, I returned to my seat until Mom came out.

I turned on my phone to play some music, when I noticed a notification at the top of my screen. I swiped down to see...

*2 Missed Calls from 💢💥My Angry Boi💥💢*

I swore under my breath, gaining a look from Uraraka, and dialed his number.

It rang once. "Hey, you okay? Did you just get done with the police?" He asked immediately.

"Actually, my ringer was off. I've been waiting for Izu. I take it you heard, then?"

"Yeah, I did. Handjob was really there talking to Deku?"

"What did I say about that name?"

"What, Handjob? I think it's fitting."

"No. Deku."

"Oh come on, it's meant to not be condescending. Kind of."

"I told you I don't like it. Don't call him it in front of me anymore at least."

"It's his hero name though!"

I paused for a moment, then sighed. "Whatever. Yeah, he spoke to Izu."

"Anything important?"

"He didn't seem to have anything coherant to talk about, if that's what you're asking."

"Fucking weirdo. Why did he show up then?"

"Hell if I know." Mom came out then, thanking the officer for their time. "I gotta go Kats."

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow. Get home safe, nerd."

I smiled. "I will." Click.

After Izuku was done talking to All Might, Mom took us home. It was late, and I was heading to the pool with the girls tomorrow, so I needed some rest.

Me and Izuku packed our bags for the camp trip coming up with our new things from today in silence, then laid down for bed. After a few moments laying down, I spoke up. "Izuku?"

"Yeah, Anika?"

"I'm very grateful that you're still here. Don't beat yourself up over him getting away. When I see him, he will pay."

Izuku didn't respond for a long while, and I realised that he was crying. "I- I'm sorry Anika. I'm sorry I was so slow and weak all my life, even now. Even when I should be the strongest possible. I still manage to fail when it's needed."

"You did what you needed to to stay alive, Izu." I replied. "Don't ever apologise for that. You're worth far more to me alive and well than a pile of ash." I teared up a bit, realising I almost lost him today. "I love you Izu."

"I love you too Anika. Goodnight sis."