Part 30

How could villains have found the camp?

Moving so that our backs were towards each other, me and Momo scanned through the smoke and pink gas. There seemed to be no immediate threats here. Turning to glance at Momo, I caught a clear view of more vibrant blue flames, as well as dense smoke pouring from the treeline. "They must be over there." I said.

"Then we should go and alert a teacher of where the villains are." Momo said. "Along the way, we can try to give as many of these masks as possible to the others."

I glanced at Momo, then at the blossoming flames. "Someone has to go stop whoever is doing this."

"Yes, a pro needs to." Momo said calmly. She could clearly already tell what I was getting at. "We can barely even keep our eyes open because of training, and we're not allowed to physically harm villains."

"Momo..." I said hesitantly. "In order to go get a teacher and give out the masks, you don't need me. Your quirk is perfectly suited for this."

"Anika. You can't go off on your own." Momo said in a strained tone.

"We're losing time that could be used saving someone from this gas." I said quickly. "Go, Momo. I'll find the villains."

Momo hesitated, as if questioning herself. Then she seemed to gain a new sense of strength and nodded. "I know I can't convince you otherwise, you're too stubborn. Be safe Anika." With that she ran off.

I watched her run off for a moment before turning and moving towards the flames. I barely made it a few yards before a chime-like noise rang through my brain, followed by a message from Mandalay saying we were not authorized to engage with villains. I promptly ignored this and continued my search for the villain.

 I would like to say that I found him, but in truth he found me. I felt the air around me heat up and had just barely enough time to redirect a wall of deep blue flames before they hit me head-on. I felt my left fingertips light up with pain and I bit back a wince. This wasn't any type of fire I'd seen before.

"We've got visitors it seems, Twice. I didn't think any of the kids would make it all the way back here." A tall black haired man riddled with burn marks spoke. He wore a white shirt and a long black trenchcoat.

"So you're the one who's been setting the forest on fire." I said, ignoring the throbbing in my hand. "I'm glad to see it's 2 of you, I was worried you'd be outmatched all alone." It was a strategy I'd seen Katsuki use before. Oftentimes they halted their attacks to get angry. I needed a minute to tend to my hand.

"That's pathetic!" Some guy standing near trenchcoat guy, clad in a black and silver uniform, spoke. Then, in a different voice, he added. "You're so cool!"

I tried to tune that out, assuming it was some sort of distraction. "Why are you doing this?" I asked, activating Voice. If I could get them talking-

"Nice try, girl. We heard about you from the Sports Festival." Trenchcoat guy said. "Don't think I'll be spilling my life story any time soon." He blasted fire at me again, and I manipulated it around me and back at him, trying to ignore the searing pain racing up my left arm. Summoning fire with my right hand, I blasted a column of fire back at him, feeling my usual tingle of pain in my fingertips. That, I could handle. Whatever was going on with my left was an entirely different story.

So Voice wasn't going to work as a mediator this time. That was unfortunate. I muttered a simple command using Voice, attempting to start a healing process on my left arm. I'd need that arm if I wanted to win this fight.

The villain seemed a bit surprised at my return attacks, but blasted some of his own flames at the column to subdue it. "Not bad, for a party trick." He said. "Been a while since someone could handle more than a couple blasts from me." 

He threw another volley of flames at me, and I rose my left hand wearily to redirect once again. This time I'd redirect towards the guy in black and silver. That way he'd have to get in the way somehow. About halfway through this maneuver I heard that same chime-like sound in my head. Mandalay again, granting us consent to use our quirks.

This might have been beneficial if I was worried about getting in legal trouble, as opposed to not getting burned alive. My redirection only made it halfway through it's intended path, flying into a nearby tree and setting it ablaze. The waves of heat made me recoil from the raging fire and I stumbled, raising my right hand to blast flames at the villains. I felt hot burns race up my arm as I hit the ground.

I started to get up but had to duck to avoid a blast of fire. "Stay down." The villain warned, his tone sharp. I heard the villains approach me, footsteps seeming almost swagger. The villain in the trenchcoat kicked me on the shoulder, making it so I was laying face up towards them.

"Well look at this." He placed his foot on my right arm. "Your flames hurt you too, sweetheart?" He grinned a bit. "We're not so different, you and me. Cut from the same cloth I'd say. You're that Midoriya girl, right?" 

I didn't respond, just looked up at him, looking for an opening. but the left side of my body seemed to refuse to cooperate with my mind.

"Right." He said, rolling his eyes. "You think old Crusty would like it if we brought this one in as a little bonus?" He asked the other villain.

"He'd kill us!" The villain exclaimed, then added, "Great idea!"

"Call Compress then." Trenchcoat guy said.

I slowly moved my leg up to kick him away. His foot moved lightning fast, knocking my leg away. "You're feisty, I might just have to get rid of the inconvenience." He lifted his foot. "This won't hurt a bit."

Another pang rang through my head. "Listen, we've discovered one of the villain's targets. It's a student named Kacchan." Wait, Katsuki was in-

Everything went black.

(Sorry, it's a little short, but I'm hella sick right now y'all. Love you! ~Sho)