Part 32

Izuku's POV:

The next thing I remember is the dull beeps of machines and the cold lights shining on me. I was in the hospital it seemed. I couldn't remember much of the ambulance ride, though apparently I'd seized several times and been delirious with fever for several hours.

I spied a plate of pear slices on the bedside and a note from Mom. Mom... Mom must have been so distraught between me being injured and Anika...

I heard the door slide open, and Kamanari exclaim a soft "Hey! Midoriya good, you're finally awake." Him and pretty much the rest of the class shuffled into my room. "Did you see the news? Reporters are all over the school right now."

"I brought a present! It's a melon!" Mineta exclaimed.

I almost mustered up a smile from seeing them all safe and out of harms way. But Tokoyami seemed troubled.

"I caused you trouble, Midoriya." He started.

"No, please." I quickly interrupted. "I did this to myself." I didn't dare look to the damage on my arms. "...Did everyone from class A come to visit?"

"No." Iida spoke. "Jirou and Hagakure were knocked out by the gas, they're still out. Yaoyorozu took a bad hit to the head, so she's still under watch. She finally woke up yesterday." He paused. "So, it's just us. Though obviously we wish the whole class could be here."

So there were more injured that I hadn't even known about.  

"That makes 15 of us for now." Uraraka said softly.

"Because Bakugou and Anika are gone." Todoroki said, his tone somewhere between anger and guilt. I looked at him, going over those final moments that I'd seen once again. Kacchan had said not to come... and I almost listened. If I hadn't hesitated, could I have saved them?

A ripple of objection ran through the class at the mention of their names, probably because I was already so injured and I held them so close to me. Or because no one burned with more shame for losing them then me, the guy who'd reached for them and missed. But that was exactly why I felt I had to say something. What would All Might say, in a situation like this? Of course, All Might would never get in a situation like this, he would have saved them. But still...

"All Might told me once that there would always be people beyond our reach. People we can't protect, even though we want to. Which is why we have to save the people we can reach..." I looked away from them, out the window. "I... was so close to saving them. I had to, I needed to." I fought back tears, All Might had told me to stop crying so much. "That's the entire reason I have my quirk. It's exactly like Mr. Aizawa said to me. I'm worthless in battle." A tear slid down my cheek. "My body... it wouldn't move." I looked back to my classmates. People who looked up to me, my friends. I had let everyone down, not just Anika and Kacchan. "I couldn't save someone who was right in front of me... And since I failed, they're gone."

"Alright, then let's go get them back." Kirishima replied. Another ripple of objection ran through the group, and I looked up at Kirishima.

"I came here yesterday, and I ran into Todoroki. We were actually going to see you, when we overheard All Might and some police officer talking to Yaoyorozu. She said she had attached a tracking device to one of the villains, and could make a transmitter to find the signal of it." Kirishima explained.

Iida visibly tensed. "You're going to have Yaoyorozu make another transmitter for you, aren't you?"

"What if it does?" Todoroki asked, his tone even. I'd never seen him so motivated about something. Gently, I sat myself up.

"This isn't the right time to get involved! Let the pros handle this, you idiots!" Iida exclaimed.

"Maybe! But all I know is that at camp, I couldn't do ANYTHING! I heard my friend was targetted, and I just stood by. Helpless! Meanwhile my other friend was out there doing something to help and she got caught and taken too! And I did NOTHING. So if I stand by and do nothing now, how am I supposed to call myself a hero OR a man?" Kirishima exclaimed.