Part 38

"Ow, fuck." I said under my breath as I got up from the ground, glaring at the clone of Ectoplasm.

"Your combat is still weak. You can't always rely on a move like Ceasefire, and you need to be ready in case the person's will supersedes it." Was all he said in reply. "Today, you should focus on getting a Ultimate Move for your fire."

"There's not exactly a lot of uniqueness there, you know." I grumbled. "There's dozens of flame heroes."

"And they've all found Ultimate Moves that define them." Ectoplasm paused. "If you wanted some inspiration, I would suggest going to Young Todoroki for help."

I glanced over at Todo. It'd been a while since we'd spoken alone, since just after the internships I think. "Okay, yeah. I'm sure he has some cool ideas." I made the short walk to Todo's clearing, watching as he worked on using both sides of his quirk at once. "Hey Todoroki?"

He paused mid-action, turning to me. "Oh, Anika. What is it?"

"I was hoping you could maybe give me some ideas for an Ultimate Move? With my flames, I mean."

"Oh. I suppose I could. Do you want like... my old man's tricks or what?"

Oh. That's why Ectoplasm had suggested Todo. Because of Endeavor. "No I was thinking actually I-" I felt eyes on me from one of the lower levels, and glanced over. Bakugou had already turned back to his work, calling out one of his new moves called 'AP Shot'. Whatever. "I was thinking, since we both have 2 quirks, you could give me an idea for a complimenting move that works alongside Voice."

"I guess I could help with that. How exactly does your quirk work again?" He seemed a bit confused as to where I'd glanced before, but didn't press it.

"Well basically I can create varying quantities of fire and, with enough focus, control where it goes."

"You can control it?" He seemed earnestly surprised. "I didn't know that. Why don't you do it?"

I felt a wash of embarrassment fall on me. "I mean, I have... at least kind of?"

"Oh." He went silent, seemingly lost in thought. "Now that I'm thinking about it, my old man said to me that that was something that made you special. He said that you being able to control flames was what set you apart, and he wanted to train you so that you could use the full potential of that side of your quirk. It has potential to be even stronger than his quirk, according to him. He seemed almost jealous..."

"Endeavor said all of that?" I hated the guy, but quirk envy from the current #1 hero was actually insane. "Is there any way that you think I could utilize that aspect of my quirk more?"

"I mean, right now you're just using it like a normal fire quirk, right?"

"Yeah, pretty much." I glanced at my hands, scanning over the damage that had earned me.

"What if you used it more like Tokoyami with Dark Shadow?" Todo offered, flicking a piece of ice off of his arm.

"Like... a thing that I can command?"

"Not so much like it's sentient, but like it's a ranged weapon. Here." He made some fire in the palm of his hand. "Take this, and try holding it around you."

I nodded, calling the fire to go behind me and spread out into a thin wall. "Like this?"

"Now you could try moving it all like some sort of lasso or restraint."

"It's too much fire to move at once without letting my guard down for right now." I replied, breaking off a section of the flames. "I can do about this much?"