27| Happy Birthday

[M/N] had noticed Aether stared outside like he was just waiting for someone or something to show up. He didn't understand it, maybe he missed going outside. He had seen him become glum, even a bit annoyed when people were fighting but he pushed it down for that peacemaker mode. It bothered him, but he knew the feeling.

He asked around and learned about Aether's mission back on their home. His sister, a twin, and that made [M/N]'s heart hurt a bit. When he was younger, [M/N] had missed his sister, as toddlers and kids they were nice together. The perfect set that older people said, most ghosts complimented until she began turning more into their mother. Chongyun also mentioned it was close to Aether's birthday, and [M/N] guessed it was close not to mention another birthday.

His.

[M/N] didn't enjoy his birthdays and for the longest time, Auggie assumed his Uncle never knew his birthday. He didn't have fond memories of his birthday, lots of favoritism and heartache but since it was Aether's birthday as well then might as well celebrate it together. 

"Hey Aether..." [M/N] said as he pulled the door open from the back, seeing Aether sitting down on the stairs and he stood behind him with a calm posture. "...you okay?"

"Mhm, just a bit depressed, or something?"

"Because you miss lumine or because it's another birthday without her?" 

"..did someone tell you?"

"I kinda figured it out but I did ask around..Venti loves to talk once I give him enough wine." [M/N] said as he dug into his pockets, shivering a bit as the wind hit them. The weather began turning colder as the seasons began changing. "...We share the same birthday...my sister, me, and you."

"..I faintly remembered you had a sister...not a twin sister," Aether admitted as he looked to the other with a smile, one that didn't reach his eyes but not an angry or sour one. "Is that Auggie's mother?"

"Biologically yes, but she was never his mother and I will and can never be his father. I feel..selfish is away, ya know? If I were to magically became his father..the poor dude probably didn't even know Tempest was with the baby." [M/N] admitted with a sigh as he sits beside Aether, their knees touching. 

"But you love him like a son?" Aether asked as he leans his head on [M/N]'s shoulder. 

"I love Auggie more than anything in my life." [M/N] admitted as he watched the leaves fall from the tree. "I never wanted children, I was happy with my single life with my boyfriend at the time..but when I held him..I fell in love with him. I began raising him..despite having little to no money..and began doing reads for money...I dedicated my life to my work and Auggie."

"It sounds nice...like you found your missing piece of life." [M/N] chuckled as he rubbed his friend's back and hummed. "Do you regret it?"

"What?"

"keeping him, you didn't have an obligation to keep him but you did."

"And you don't need to look for your sister that isn't ready to be found and go home."

"What-" Aether jerks up a bit, as he saw how serious [M/N] was. 

"Venti told me and we don't have obligations to do anything..you with finding your found sister and me keeping Auggie..but we did and currently doing." [M/N] said with a hum as Aether nods his head, and sniffed a bit. He missed his sister so much, but she wasn't ready to come home. She wanted Aether to chase her and he will do it, willingly or not." Though...even if it takes up our stress and time..we do it because we love them."

"You're right." Aether sniffed, "I miss her so much, but I don't know how long I can do this..."

"Nobody asked you, but..let's celebrate all the things we have done..inside together.." [M/N] stands up and rubbed his friend's back before offering Aether his hand. Aether takes it and rubbed his eyes a bit, holding [M/N]'s hand as they began moving towards the door and opened it. There were the quickly hung blue and white streamers and some balloons that Auggie with Diluc had gotten. 

There was a cake with candles, HAPPY BIRTHDAY AETHER & [M/N]

"Happy Birthday!" The others shouted as Razor blows the party maker with Klee and Venti. 

Aether laughs and wiped the tears away, and [M/N] shuts the door behind them. He loved how warm his chest was, but chose to ignore it as it was Aether's time too.