A funny thing happened on the way to the grid...

In Formula 1, There's no chance to be scared. It's a constant fear that drives those who pilot these cars, literally. We don't have an opportunity to be afraid or hesitate. Because when we do... the worst happens...

"Max Verstappen is in the wall! Oh my god this is the worst crash I've seen since Senna...."

"Max? Max, are you there?"

"Come on Max, just give us a sign..."

"Max, It's GP. The Stewards are on their way. Hang in there..."

Max had hit the wall at nearly 300 Kilometers per hour. It an attempt to move around Vettel on his flying lap, Max misjudged the distance between his car and the wall at turn three. His front left tire clipped the wall, sending him sideways to the gravel. There was no hope from that point as he was forced to go limp while his car started rotating in air long ways in an uncontrolled manor. The faces of everyone in the Red Bull garage became somber as they were forced to watch the young man in the car hit the wall at forces they knew were fatal. 

The somber tone of the room soon became even more grim as the man didn't respond to radio calls as his car rested against the barrier with the open top against the decimated wall. He had hit the wall head first, with minimal hope that the halo was able to provide any relief to the mortal body inside. 

No one dared speak a word as the stewards red flagged qualifying and everyone was forced to watch the medical car show up and attempt to get to Max. Eyes were wide as the doctors were frantically trying to get to him. They had to flip the car down, and before any questions could be asked, the medevac helicopter had landed on the track a few yards away. 

Max was not moving and his last call over the radio had hung in the air as a dark reminder that what we do in this sport is more dangerous than most can imagine. 

"Don't worry GP. I have this under control."

Only a weird twist of fear, a small jerk of his wheel to avoid someone, had possibly cost him his life. 

Things could not end there though, there was still a race that could happen. We were forced to wait with baited breath for the news of Max Verstappen's condition. Christian jumped into action immediately, knowing that while his mournful feelings matched his team, it was a team he still had to run. 

He pulled his headset off at the wall, placing it down on the counter calmly as to not distract anyone from the scene in front of them. He had to be delicate in this situation. For a man's life was in the balance, but he had to do what he had to do. Taking out his phone, He dialed first the person he needed to be in Australia by early tomorrow. 

"Maeve, I need you to pack your bags and get to Melbourne."

The girl barely responded, as she had been watching the qualifying live from their factory in Milton Keynes. Her job as a junior engineer and aerodynamicist was overshadowed by her title of test and development driver for the company. A place she had help for merely 5 months. This was a worst case situation for her. Not only was one of her friends on the way to hospital, but she was now having to step up and take their place. 

"Maeve? Please, I know that this is a gruesome situation. I cannot put Hartley or Gasly in this seat. I know it will not work. You might not even be driving this weekend, but he would want you here if it has to be anyone." Christian coaxed her delicately as he knew her concerns weren't on the track at the moment. 

"Christian..." The woman didn't know what to say. Her friend could be dead and she had to come down and pretend to be ok with being given a seat?

"I'm aware of the situation and what this looks like. You have to go, Maeve. Just get on the jet, I'll send for clothes and your team wear later. Just get on it and get here, please...." On the opposite end of the world, the girl bit her lip. The chance was huge, but it wasn't the way she wanted this in a million years. Christian was correct though, Max wouldn't dare let anyone else step up in this situation.

"OK, I'll go." Christian couldn't help the relief he felt as his eyes closed then. 

"I will give you updates on Max as I get them, but I need you to focus in case anything continues tomorrow. You're going in blind, no practice. What can I do to help you?" He heard the deep inhale the terrified woman made. 

"Nothing. I'm only doing this for Max."