Frayed Yarn and Two Idiots

Daniel

The boat was in fact the perfect getaway after the last few months. Max was being a bit reckless with all of the flipping and the jet skiing, but we were just happy to really have him back. Pierre and Charles were pushing each other off the boat. Maeve was really enjoying her time here as well, or at least it seemed that way. Kate and Charlotte were loving getting to know Maeve and gossiping a bit about the paddock. I couldn't help but stare at her as she sat on the deck with the girls while I was sitting on the water platform waiting for my turn on the jet ski.

The bikini I ended up grabbing on a whim looked incredible on her. I could finally see all of her tattoos that coated her arms and legs. She had her hair up in a high ponytail as she talked with excitement to the girls. Her smile was infectious as she laughed, the smile bigger than I had seen in months. I had upset her just two weeks ago and made that smile fade. Now here she was with two girls she was just meeting, actually having a good time in the Monegasque sunshine. I couldn't be more thankful that she was back.

Those thoughts were unceremoniously interrupted by a spray of water that flew so far it even made the girls squeal as they received just the tail end of it.

"Stop staring Mate!" Max laughed as he and Michael flew by on the jet skis.

They both pulled up to the dock after circling back to trade with Pierre and Charles.

"Mate, seriously, keep staring and she's going to find out." Max sat down next to me on the platform. He had a towel in his hand and was rubbing the droplets off his skin from his short time on the jet skis. It was hard not to look at the massive scars on his legs as he ran the towel over them. Michael pulled me away from that thought.

"Shut up. I wasn't staring." Michael scoffed as he walked onto the deck and towards the kitchen. He had a different towel to wipe the stray droplets off and that left me with my teammate.

"That means you were. Really? You're hopeless." I sighed, looking back up at my best friend.

"I have to tell her. Like today. We keep having these weird moments and each time we just get closer." Max just chuckled, unceremoniously dropping the towel onto the floor at his feet on the deck.

"Not surprising. The second you guys are put in the same room for more than a handful of days you'd just do the deed and get it over with." I shoved Max, nearly into the water at his words. He just laughed as he righted himself. While all I could do was twiddle my thumbs to occupy my hands.

"That reaction alone should tell you I'm right. So how are you going to do it?"

Max stared at me and I knew then that I had not a single clue. How do you tell your best friend that you're in love with them? Over dinner? A movie? A walk on the beach? Do you tell them outright or do you walk them into it nicely? Maeve was always a very honest person until it came to me. Hence our issues with the team in the past month. That didn't help me with how to handle this situation.

"Daniel? Hello? Yoo-hoo earth to Daniel." Max snapped in front of my face and I blinked.

"Sorry. I was thinking." Max groaned, sitting back and laying his arms across the back of the couch.

"Yeah probably building a Barbie dream house with Maeve and the picture perfect family you'll have. Picturing two or three kids? One named Max, right? " I chuckled, that was never something that crossed my mind. At least not in the way Max was describing.

"No. Just thinking about how to tell her. Without ya know, ruining our friendship forever..." I scratched the back of my neck and winced, just the thought of that happening pained me.