What's Gonna Happen

A/N: I'm sorry this took so long! I've been busy with life, but I should be back to a regular posting schedule soon. As always, thank you for reading and let me know what you think with a like or a comment. 💚

Daniel

I blinked a few times as I digested the full story that Maeve told me. It was slow going, my brain was having an issue processing the fact that Toto knew. Maeve had since moved to sit on the massage table next to me, cross legged with her hands in her lap. I was sitting with my head in my hands and my elbows braced on my knees. Toto not only knew, but was prepared to help us fight if something were to come out. It was the best case scenario for what we wanted.

"I have to go get ready..." Maeve said quietly next to me, placing a hand on my back.

"Yeah," I agreed,"We can talk about this later." I sat up, looking over at her and she was frowning now messing with her nails.

"Why don't you seem happy?" My words hung in the air as I stood and moved in front of her.

"Well you just seem dismissive of it, I thought you'd be more excited..." Tears came to her eyes and I was shocked to see it.

"Hey, D," I reached for her hands, preventing her from picking at her nails,"I'm thrilled! It means we have a great person in our corner if something ever happens and you don't have anything to worry about going forward," I smiled widely at her,"But I'm still just confused at how he knew because I thought we kept our PDA to a minimum. So let's get some work done right now and then we can spend all night thinking about where I decided to be too much and show you my love in public. Sounds good?" My terrible habit of cracking a joke didn't seem to help as tears streamed down her face now.

"Baby, I'm serious. I really am thrilled. It means that I can come see you whenever I want next year and You don't have to worry about anyone judging you. It's the perfect situation, baby..."

I brought both of her hands up to kiss over her knuckles. She just nodded solemnly. Before I could do anything else, she took her hands from mine and wrapped them around my neck, pulling me as close as possible to her. Reciprocating, I wrapped my arms around her back and held her against me tightly. Even though we did have to get ready for free practice one, I didn't pull away until she did. If there was something she needed from me right now it was support.

"I'm sorry, I don't know why that just hit hard..." Maeve pulled away, wiping her cheeks as she did so, but I made sure to hold on to her.

"You are fine, D. You never have to explain to me what you're feeling. I will be here for you no matter what."

Pulling her in for another hug, she rested her head against my shoulder, just letting me hold her for a few moments before I pulled away this time.

"Alright, go get ready to drive. I'll see you downstairs..." Leaning forward, I placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Ok." Was all I got from her before she walked out of the room.

It felt like Whiplash, watching Maeve's mood flit back and forth. Never knowing what kind of a mood she was in when she walked into a room was a new experience. Part of me missed the days that I could tell what she was feeling with just a passing glance. There wasn't time to put towards this, more than I already had at least.

Free practice one and free practice two were straight forward. D and I were close to the top and the team didn't seem very worried about the race. Thinking that would make having a conversation that night must have been a joke. Maeve was half asleep when we made it back to the hotel. To make life easier, I let her go to her room and returned to my own room to shower and get ready for bed.