The Deal Maker

Maeve

Soon after Daniel's admission, our night was ended by the fun police. AKA, our trainers. The general reminder that we needed to get our sleep schedule back in order for the race this weekend surely put a damper on things. After a short walk through the area, Michael met up with us in the car to get us back to the hotel. I wanted to skip the meeting, but Daniel said it was important to go even if I ended up not taking the job offered to me. We still had plans for our return to our rooms though.

I promised Daniel to meet him back in his room as soon as my impromptu meeting was done, quickly making my way to a different floor of the hotel above us where I was to meet Zak as he left with Michael to get ready for bed. For some reason my nerves were a wreck. It felt like I was going into a meeting that could end my career. Yet, I couldn't stop walking with a purpose that I didn't know. It was confidence that was the most important going into these meetings according to Daniel and I fully intend to exude the same confidence that any other driver would have going into a meeting like this. Even if it was false, my mind is currently on other things and uncaring in this situation.

That confidence was gone when I turned the corner and saw Zak speaking in hushed tones with Toto. The height difference between the two men was comical, it made me want to chuckle. My eyes were wide though as I was brought to a grinding halt at the sight of those two men talking like they were doing something sneaky. The conversation seemed heated, Toto hunched over as if he was speaking down to Zak. The American looked much calmer than Toto, speaking with a gentleness that seemed misplaced in this situation.

I didn't have too much time to read into it as Toto happened to look over and see me. He did a double take before saying something to Zak that made him turn to me as well. Zak had a warm smile when he looked at me, the conversation with Toto seemingly long forgotten. It was inviting and kind, kind of what you'd expect of the uncle that sneaks you the extra cookie at Thanksgiving. Toto's gaze was menacing though. For the first time, I understood why people found Toto intimidating. His eyes bore into mine as his face returned to the stoicism I was used to seeing in the paddock. Despite the look, Toto was the one to motion me over with the single wave of his hand as he stood up straight.

It was a fraction of a second before I was straightening my posture and walking towards them. I had a tight smile on my face as I walked over, stopping just next to them as Zak extended his hand out to me.

"You look all fancy, have a good dinner?" I chuckled, shaking his hand as I kept my focus on him for the time being. He was the one I was supposed to be meeting after all.

"Yeah, Daniel and Michael had me get all dressed up to get pizza of all things. Did you have a good trip in?" He nodded as he shoved his hands in the pockets of his slacks.

"Yes, it was smooth and we took the day to relax." He looked at Toto, making me look at the hulking man to my right.

Toto's eyes were still trained on me. It was unnerving, but him not speaking only made it worse. Attempting to bring him into the conversation felt like my best bet.

"You have a good trip as well?" Toto nodded in response to my question. He crossed his arms before speaking.

"Yes, quite the trip actually. I hope you don't mind me sitting in on your clandestine meeting?" He smiled at me. It was menacing and unmatched to the tone of voice he had used. He clearly had a focus though, bringing the topic of conversation back to what it was supposed to be

"I wouldn't call it clandestine, that makes it sound like we're doing something that we are not supposed to be doing." I laughed at his words in an attempt to lighten the mood and he just shrugged.