Opportunity

Maeve

"You're lucky you won and you're not technically obligated to do press. That was ridiculous of you to even attempt. We're gonna have to put you on a no drinking champagne regime." I scoffed as Angela met up with me and brought me towards the garage.

"Honestly, who cares anymore. They were going to keep pushing until I said something shitty to use for their stupid headlines."

I flippantly waved my hand before I started skipping down the paddock towards our garage. No one could bring me down now that my nerves were gone at the hand of the alcohol. I couldn't give a single fuck about what anyone would say to me. All I wanted to do was get back to the hotel, my mind wandering to ways to cheer up Daniel.

You would never know that he had a DNF in the race today by his face though. When I entered the garage to head to the pitlane, Daniel was simply waiting in the secluded hall between the paddock and the garage. His eyes lit up when he saw me, opening his arms wide as I ran straight to him. There was no hesitation as I jumped into his arms, wrapping my legs around his waist as my arms wrapped around his neck. Even though I knew Angela was right behind me and anyone could come looking for either of us, I couldn't help but run the fingers of my right hand through his hair as my face settled in the crook of his neck. I was savoring the feeling of being close to him, which he must be feeling too. His left arm was firmly around my waist, holding me against him for leverage, while his right arm was up so his hand could hold my head against him.

"I'm sorry about your car..." the apology came out in hushed tones, something for only him to hear. He had to based on the quiet chortle he responded with.

"Fuck my car, you fucking won..."

I don't know what it was about his words, or maybe it was my current state, but I felt tears well in my eyes again. Truly from pure happiness as I let myself revel in my win and current situation. He squeezed me just a bit tighter as I was starting to slip, his right thumb gently brushing over the back of my head. The sound of someone coming back through the tunnel pulling me from my moment as I tapped his back lightly so he could let me down before whoever it was walked into the small corner where we were stealthily hidden. He continued to hug me even when I was on solid ground though.

"Alright, as cute as this is, we've been waiting for you two for photos." Charlotte was the one that found us first, coming from the garage side while Angela was walking in from the paddock side with Christian.

"You don't need me for photos." I chuckled, finally stepping back from Daniel to wipe my face.

No one argued, but we were both pulled to the pit lane where the entire team was waiting with our trophies and more champagne. The photographer made it easy, situating my pitboard in the center of the group with Christian and GP situated on either side of it while Daniel and I stood behind the board. There were just a few moments of everyone talking excitedly, the realization that this very photo would grace history books and documentaries across time as I simply leaned on the board and looked over the track. It was surreal. Then they passed us the trophies, GP holding the team trophy to my right on the ground while I caressed mine in both hands, staring at it as if it were a newborn child.

"Do I get to keep my first one?" I asked, to no one in particular. Daniel was quick to answer though.

"We'll have a replica made. They like to show that stuff off in the factory."

Instead of cheese, the photographer asked us to yell 'history' which only made me laugh as I held the trophy over my head. I didn't know that most of the team had been given cans of Red Bull and small bottles of champagne to spray all over us as the photos were being taken. This resulted in me nearly dropping my trophy as I ran down the pit lane to get away. The whole team seemed to follow as I sprinted past the other garages with the trophy still in my hand. Was I currently in any position to be holding that trophy? Not in the slightest. Daniel recognized that, grabbing the trophy out of my hand before turning me around and throwing me over his shoulder. The action made me laugh loudly as he carried us back to the garage with plenty of onlookers in the pit lane.