Pressure

Daniel

Nothing could stop how I threw my helmet full force into the wall in ym driver room, smashing a sizable crater into the wall and nearly hitting Michael on the couch.

"What the fuck Daniel?!" I waved him off and threw myself down on the couch.

"No, no more waving me off on this shit. What is wrong with you?" I glared at him. I took a minute to gather the words that needed to be said, no matter how ridiculous they were. My anger was directed at the directive given to us by Christian. It made my situation far worse than what I originally wanted.

"I'm in love with my best friend and I have to spend every single moment of my life with her until Christian thinks we're ok again. The same best friend that I just crashed into and sent into a run off because our entire fucking team didn't think I could win enough to be in championship contention. So tell me, what the fuck is wrong with me?" Michael didn't even get a chance to respond as there was a knock on my door just moments later. My eyes widened, hoping whoever was there didn't hear what I had to say.

"Yes?" Michael asked with a level voice.

"I need Daniel for media duties...." Charlotte's voice came through as I just sighed in relief at knowing it wasn't Maeve.

"I need five minutes. I'll meet you in the dining area." I told her as I stood.

"Five minutes." I heard her walk away this time as I ran my hands through my hair.

"Daniel, you can't go on like this." Michael stood in front of me, placing his hands on my shoulders. I just crossed my arms and glared up at him.

"I have to Michael. She doesn't feel the same way and I'm not going to let my feelings damage the already delicate situation. She doesn't feel the same way and I won't think differently if she can't say it to my face." I pushed his arms off of me as I spoke.

"Grow a pair and ask them or stop being petty about it." Michael was more mad at me than I was at myself at this point.

"No. I don't have to."

I left the room then, grabbing my water bottle to meet Charlotte in the dining area. She brought me out to the media pen where everyone had some questions about the status of my teammate and I post collision. My only comment was to not comment and instead deflect to a statement the team was prepping. Charlotte seemed satisfied with my answers and let me off early to return to my driver room and then back to the hotel.

I didn't want to talk to Maeve, yet she had other plans as she was standing in front of my door when Michael and I made it back to the hotel. She had clearly been here for awhile as she was now wearing a pair of leggings and a Post Malone hoodie. Her hair was wet and she couldn't have been standing there for long.

"Hey..." I called out, making her look up from her phone at me.

"Hey...can we talk before the flight?" She looked at Michael while biting her lip and he folded immediately.

"I'll meet you downstairs in a few hours." Michael said as he turned to me, walking past my room while giving Maeve a polite nod.

"Would you like to come in?" Nervousness was all over the wavering in my voice that caused me to clear my throat as she nodded in agreement with my question.

She moved to the side for me to open the door. I brought my bags in and held the door open for her to enter. She didn't hesitate to take a seat on the couch while I dropped my items in the bedroom to be packed for our flight.

"So, I'm sorry about today." I started as I walked back into the room. She was sitting with her knees to her chest, like she had been on the grid this morning. She was processing.