Recovery

Maeve

The first two days we were back in MK were dreadful. Daniel and I were switching off sim time and making rounds to apologize to everyone. My first official driver paycheck went right back into the fines from crashing per the team and taking care of the team as they fixed the issues we caused. That left me broke and groaning as I drove in the simulator Wednesday afternoon.

"Come on, let's do ten more laps and then we can move on to analysis." GP was sitting in the room with the computers just allowing me to do my laps.

"I'm really trying not to complain, I owe you all the very least of that. However, I'm pulling really good times. I don't know what else I need to do." GP chuckled. He had been at this with me for a few days now.

"I know, but we want to make sure we are prepared." He assured me as I blew through the virtual start/finish line again.

"We are prepared. We have two good cars, two not fighting at all drivers and the best team in the world. What else do we need?" He didn't say anything as I gave him the last ten laps that he asked for.

"Great work Maeve." GP walked over to the cockpit as I stepped out of it.

"I hope so. I feel terrible as is about the crash, but this is intense. I haven't even touched the car this week." He patted me on the back.

"Well you're more of a driver right now. We need you and Daniel performing to guarantee us the best performance possible on track. You're doing a phenomenal job as well. " I smiled at him, knowing he was being honest.

"Thanks, I really am trying."

Daniel threw open the double doors to the sim room and walked in with a smile.

"Ah, there you are! You're going to be late for your class. Or did you forget that I said I would drive you?" I raised an eyebrow at Daniel as he strode into the room.

"You want to drive me?" He nodded vigorously and smiled at GP.

"Yep, Christian cleared you for today and tomorrow. We need to get going though, traffic to Cambridge is pretty nuts right now." Daniel's gaze met mine and I tried to read the motivation in his words.

See the thing is, I didn't have class today. Tomorrow I had an all day school meeting about my current research and my progress. Daniel also hadn't driven me to the factory. I didn't even drive myself. Running to the factory had been my morning workout since we made it back.

He was planning a breakout. I may have ruined it by my cluelessness.

"My god, it really is Wednesday isn't it? I feel like I've been on autopilot since we made it back from Baku. Gimme a few and I'll meet you in the parking lot?" He smiled widely, knowing that I had caught on.

"Perf. See you in a bit. G'day GP."

GP and I watched him leave before GP turned to me.

"Christian didn't say shit. Did he?" I shrugged.

"He knows I have classes and I have been a good little driver and made it to every appointment I have been given since returning. I've even helped film some stuff for marketing." I shrugged with a smile as I started towards the door.

"Don't do anything stupid! You're still on thin ice." I merely laughed as I waved goodbye to GP.

He was right, we were on thin ice. We had done everything asked of us plus some though. a third of a day plus the actual day off we were supposed to have wouldn't hurt anyone. In fact, we were owed the time off. So, I made my way to the locker rooms by the gym to grab my bag before practically running out to the parking lot. Daniel was already in the Vantage that he was loaned out when in London. I couldn't help bounding over and literally jumping through the window.