Caught in the Act

Daniel

The plane jolted as the wheels touched the ground in Shanghai, shaking me awake.

"Noooo, go back to sleep..." I blinked a few times to see that Maeve was asleep in my arms, it was the last thing I remembered doing before slipping into my hangover cure.

"I really don't think we have a choice this time..." I cleared my throat and reached for the water in the cup holder to my left. The plane was taxiing to the pick up area for us.

"Fine." As much as I hate to say it, the second she sat up out of my arms, I felt cold. Having her in my arms had given me the best sleep I had in awhile. it was rare that we did that, mostly because we weren't in the same room long enough to also fall asleep together. It never helped how I felt about her, normally we'd both leave in the morning and I'd be able to stop myself from letting those feelings come out. Now, she sat next to me and we had to go into work together as if nothing was different.

The truth is that something was different.

While I had my doubts that what Michael said was true, some part of my brain remembered a point in the middle of the night where she tried to break us apart as we slept on the couch. When I just held her tighter, I felt the change in her heart rate that Michael was talking about, the stutter. I felt her flush as her body temperature rose. It left me confused and wondering what I should do. I didn't want to embarass her if it was nothing. Or worse, if she had a dream about someone that wasn't me and she was forced to remember it at that exact moment then I would be prying.

"What did Michael give us? I feel like a new woman..." She gulped down some water and I saw her placing the little plastic bag into her backpack as she pulled me from my thoughts. Michael must've given her the same vitamins he gives me.

"I think it's some medieval wife's tale. He had to fight a dragon for those or something..." She laughed, knowing I was playing on her last name more than anything.

"Ok hot shot. That surely is what he did." She laughed, a noise that was not helping the current predicament in my head as to how I felt about her.

I only laughed dryly as the plane came to a stop a few moments later. The team had us out of the plane and into a car to the hotel as fast as possible. It was clear there were some plans they had to keep up with, but us drivers were given the day off for recovery purposes. Which we clearly needed just at the sight of our broken and sleepless postures.

"What are you doing on this fine off day, m'lady?" Michael asked Maeve as we entered the elevator at the hotel. We were all on the same floor this time.

"I have to make a game plan based on the data from the last race for the team to make informed decisions. I'll do a work out," Michael went to say something and she cut him off," A short one, possibly just cardio so at least I'm doing something." Michael gave her a small smile and let her continue. He was probably proud that someone actually listened to him since he says that I never do. Which is a cold hearted lie.

"Then probably some sleep and a date with some very salty and unhealthy Chinese food." She laughed as the doors opened on our floor.

"Ok, well maybe shoot me a text when you're done working and before your workout. I'd like to get a better read on whatever is going on with your body so you don't have to lose that endurance in your muscles by not working out." She nodded to Michael as we navigated through the hallway.

"God it's like I don't even matter anymore!" I dramatically threw my right arm up, as my left was helping Michael pull the luggage trolley. It wasn't that I felt the need to be the center of attention, but right now I needed to be involved in the conversation or I risked my mind wandering back to my current predicament again.