The Deal Breaker(and She Doesn't Know It)

Maeve

Italy was a whole new ballgame. I suddenly had many, many people vying for my attention. It felt like I was being asked for a meeting by every team for different reasons and I didn't know what to do. My already limited time was running thinner with just the 5 minute conversations everyone wanted to have. It was weighing me down mentally and more importantly, taking away the time I needed to work on my dissertation. My mind was hazy to the point of not being able to think straight or answer questions anymore. Daniel had a very clear cut answer though.

"Taking a meeting doesn't guarantee anything for either end," He told me as he buttoned up his dress shirt in the mirror of his room. We were going out to dinner like we agreed on yesterday." You should take as many meetings as you can, while you can. You make the decisions later." I was laying on my stomach, my head propped up in my hands as I stared at him. His fingers numbly worked over the buttons as he spoke, trying to get that perfect look.

"I know, It's just hard for me to get any time to do these meetings. I'm meeting with Zak at nearly ten tonight for maybe five minutes and then I'm waiting until I have five minutes to go find Toto and hope that he has the time in that moment. It seems ridiculous." I stood from the bed, grabbing the tie that Daniel wanted to wear tonight from the chair in the room and placing it in his hand.

"Thank you baby," He spoke first for the tie," Look, you're the newest and hottest thing on the market. Your driving speaks for itself, as do your accolades in academia and development." He looped the tie around his neck and started to tie it properly as he spoke.

"They want you and they will make time for you, not the other way around. They wouldn't have approached you if they didn't feel that way. So make whatever time you can with whoever you want. Zak and Toto are important people. They would be great contacts to have no matter where you end up." I wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my cheek against his right shoulder blade as he smoothed down his shirt, now satisfied with his appearance.

"This all just seems so complicated. I thought you just got in the car and looked hot all these years. No, there's fucking paperwork and meetings." He chuckled, the action shaking me as his stomach rumbled from how deep he was laughing. I couldn't help but look at him over his shoulder.

"I mean, I'm plenty hot. It is a lot of meetings and paper work though." He winked at me in the mirror before placing his hands over mine on his stomach.

"Do we have to leave? I'm completely content with staying in... Maybe a bath would be nice..." He shook his head, gently picking my hands up from his stomach to turn around and face me.

"I haven't taken you out on a single date since we started dating. This is my second home, the place I came to do what I love and tonight will be no different." He winked at me again, my only response was to bury my face against his chest as he wrapped an arm around my waist.

"You can 'do me' right now without us going out," I put air quotes around it with my right hand and he just chuckled," I'd really like to hide from everyone. Zak is expecting me and Toto or Maurizio might try and surprise me. I'm not feeling it right now." Daniel sighed, leaning down to give me a kiss right on the tip of my nose.

"I will always listen if you don't want to do something, but turning down our first date night because you want to avoid a bunch of people that honestly won't be anywhere near us kind of hurts my feelings..." I frowned, realizing that I hadn't even considered Daniel at that moment.

"You're right. I'm sorry. This is just really stressful." He gave me a kiss again, deep and slow. Little did I know that it was really a distraction. He pulled back suddenly, holding my phone that he slyly removed from my back pocket while kissing me.