Our Side

A/N: In honor of the FEA stuff dropping, please enjoy a double update this week! I was a little emotional just watching the one episode of DTS and I just finished this and a few more chapters. I also started a Max story now which means I have a Charles and a Max story just sitting in the drafts. 

Anyways, based on testing, any predictions for the season? Genuinely interested in what everyone is thinking here since it's all over the board. 

Happy reading! Thank you as always and let me know what you think with a comment and/or a vote! 💚💚💚💚

Daniel

Maeve was right. I had been putting a lot of external weight on our relationship when we should've just been focusing on us. Maeve just wanted us to be together so I made sure to do that. Every night we spent together was full of laughs and time to be just us without everyone around. In return, Maeve was clearly trying as well and in ways I didn't initially expect. She introduced me to her new manager, Steven, and we had a really good conversation about what he wants for her.

That was immediately followed up by her practically jumping me in her driver's room after. I couldn't sit there and lie that I didn't enjoy this part of our relationship. The little stolen kisses behind walls and in hallways, leaving notes to each other between practices, and the quickies in the driver's rooms and the occasional supply closet were some of my favorite things. It meant that we were consumed by each other, but now we had two people that knew and only one was really on our side.

Max had been busy his entire time at the track in Italy. Neither of us were surprised that he was too busy to talk, but it did leave a small bit of unknown that I'm sure neither of us were enjoying. It didn't help that we both had a pretty terrible race. Maeve at least finished 5th while I had another DNF. I was feeling pretty lousy, despite Maeve trying to cheer me up back at the hotel that night. I still laid awake with her in my arms thinking about next year and hoping for the best instead of my fate of being tied to a lesser team.

My mind wandered to Max and trying to decide how to approach him about what had happened last week. He was taking his plane back, along with his press team, as well and Maeve and I with our teams. That was pre-arranged through the team as we were expected back in Milton Keynes pretty early this week for a team party/dinner. Maeve didn't know, but Christian was treating it as her birthday party. He had asked for my opinion to get her one of the cars of her dreams since she didn't really have one of her own. Whether he bought the one I recommended, I wasn't sure.

I wanted things to be ok with Max before that dinner though. That meant having to talk to him when we were in the plane or getting off. It would have to be quick. I had a plan when we made it to the airport, to pull him away quickly and let him know that I'd like to talk to him. Waiting for my window, I went through security and checked for a spot I could pull him to before we stepped on the plane. A small alcove next to a window seemed like the place to be. Maeve stepped away to find a snack and ran to the bathroom, so I took the time to text Max and ask him to meet me there.

It took him a few minutes, but he stepped over, looking annoyed but still here.

"Good morning. Why are we meeting next to a window away from everyone like there's a top secret discussion happening?" I gave him a look that read as 'because it is.'

"Ah. Well, my opinion on the matter still stands. I think it's insane that you'd do that instead of just telling the FIA and fighting for your right to be together. None of us care, why should they?" I sighed at his thought process.