A Brief Look at the Past

Maeve

Debrief was excruciating. As Daniel sat across from me providing valuable information that he didn't have to for the team, I could only stare at the computer in front of me. With my mind wandering to the events of today, a smile would grace my face every so often as the team discussed important information around me. I had to focus more on keeping my face neutral in those moments than to actually pay attention to what was being discussed, not wanting to explain all of the reasons I was so happy today. Daniel knew too. Catching his eyes every once in a while as we both provided the supposed valuable insight changed to smirks and wandering eyes in a place that I hoped we wouldn't be caught.

Nothing changed though, even once we were dismissed and out the door Daniel was by my side immediately. He didn't touch me in the presence of the team, we had been careless earlier in the day under the guise of my win. The feeling was still there though, I could feel him in my presence and the need to be closer to him. The change had been electric and distracting to say the least.

"What's the plan for tonight? I think they said the club opens at 9?" Michael asked from Daniel's other side as we met up outside of the conference room. We all pushed our backs against the wall to allow others to pass us as needed.

"You should get some sleep. There's another race this week..." Pyrita spoke up from my other side, making us all look at her. She was all business, even in the times of celebration.

"I love and respect you as my PC," I started as I reached out, placing a hand on her shoulder, " but on what planet do you think I have a choice about going out tonight?" Daniel and Michael laughed as I stared at Pyrita with wide eyes. It was simply the truth. I had no choice but to go or else a majority of the grid would hunt me down. Pyrita was simply acting as she should, as my performance coach though.

"Anyways, the plan is everyone gets dressed and first with a drink in their hand wins."

Daniel was adamant in his play, but I knew better. Pyrita and Michael were staying in motorhomes in the camping area away from the paddock. They would have to walk away and we'd have at least an hour before one of them showed back up. That was foiled when my body got the better of me, making me yawn in front of everyone. Pyrita merely chuckled as Daniel looked at me with wide eyes. She was professional enough not to provide the smug satisfaction that she was right so outwardly, but her eyes held all the truth I needed in her feelings. She knew she was right.

"D, it's only 7:30. How are you tired?" Daniel asked incredulously. His arms crossed as he stared at me.

"I dunno. Something about today wore me out. Sue me." I rolled my eyes, hoping he would get the message, be egotistically proud of himself, and stop digging it in when it was technically his fault I didn't get my originally planned nap time.

"What was that? Your first win, the press, or spending time with your best friend?" Michael scoffed behind him, a playful disgust noise that it wasn't meant to come off as. However, the slight widening of his eyes told me otherwise. Michael saw right through Daniel's strange attempts to get me to admit it was him jokingly. He knew he was serious.

"I'm gonna go take another nap," I narrowed my eyes at Daniel before fully turning around to Pyrita," How about you head back to your RV and I'll text you when I wake up. We can all walk over together?" Pyrita stared at my face for a second, she wasn't stupid.

"Fine. No later than 8 though. I value my sleep more than you clearly." She looked at Michael expectantly, asking if he was walking back as well without using her words. It was already 6:45 after all.

"I'll be headed that way shortly. Need to grab some stuff from Daniel's motorhome." She nodded once before walking out of the hall.

Michael, Daniel, and I followed suit just moments later. Michael and Daniel talking about their plans for tonight while I yawned every few steps it seemed. I thought neither of them took notice, but I didn't expect a hand to reach for the door to my motorhome before I could. Daniel stood next to me, now holding the door open for me to step inside as I stared at him surprised.