The New Deal

Daniel

Maeve didn't come back to my room after our date. Despite her telling me to get some sleep, I stayed up all night trying to think of what could have happened in that meeting for her not to come back to my room. It couldn't be good if she didn't come back on a date night. Begrudgingly, I had to get up and go to a workout before breakfast. I was slipping my shoes on to leave for breakfast when there was a knock on my door. Disregarding my right shoe, I practically ran to the door. Only to be disappointed when I opened the door to Michael covering his eyes like a child. He was fully dressed in his gear for the day and carrying his team bag and my bottles in his hands.

"Are you two decent in here?" He chuckled, removing his hands from his eyes in time to see me roll mine and walk back to the bed.

"Where's Maeve? I thought your date went well?" I didn't say anything as I rushed to get my other shoe on.

"Was she even here?" I shook my head as I stood, grabbing my sunglasses and bag to head to the track.

"Nope. She had a secret meeting last night and I haven't heard from her since she texted me to tell me that the meeting was going to run late. We are supposed to meet for breakfast, but she didn't text me back when I asked her where we were meeting." Michael didn't say anything, instead he just followed me out the door and downstairs.

Imagine my surprise when Maeve was not only downstairs, but seated next to and engaged in a hushed conversation with Lewis. She looked over and saw Michael and I enter the dining area, immediately raising her hand and waving me over. Lewis turned and smiled at me before turning back to her and saying something else while we were still out of earshot.

"I'll grab food and meet you over there." Michael clapped me on the shoulder before walking away, leaving me to walk to the table on my own.

"Good morning. I should've known that they kidnapped you last night." I chuckled, taking my bag off to drop next to the chair as I sat down.

"Not quite, she definitely is too much for me to handle. You can take all that partying for yourself." Lewis chuckled. Maeve looked serious as she now stared down at the table, obviously still wrapped up in whatever they had been talking about when I walked up.

"You would think everyone would stop trying to stick us together. We clearly cause more damage together than apart." I chuckled, looking at Lewis.

"Yeah that I can understand. Tell me though," he looked at Maeve," what are you gonna do next year when you two aren't together?" I pursed my lips, wondering what he was alluding to. Maeve smacked his arm then and I realized this had to do with her and not me.

"I told you I still had to talk to him." She glared at him as he just laughed.

"Talk to me? About what?" Lewis winked at her before standing.

"See you in the paddock. Remember what I told you and may the best driver win." Lewis leaned down to give her a hug before walking away, leaving Maeve and I to stare at each other awkwardly.

"May the best driver win? Have a little bet going on that I don't know about?" She didn't respond to that, instead staring around us and leaving me more confused.

"We have to talk. Alone. Think Michael would be ok driving Pyrita to track today?" I nodded, quickly picking up my bag and standing. Breakfast could wait if something was wrong.

"Perfect. Let's go before they come looking then." She ushered me outside to valet and picked up her car as Michael rang me.

"Ignore it. They'll figure it out." She told me as her rental pulled up, making me pocket my phone.