A Selfish Decision

A/N: As a warning THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SENSITIVE TOPICS RELATED TO REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS AND ISSUES. Thank you as always for reading and let me know what you think with a vote or a comment.

Maeve

The first thing that caught my attention was the beeping, steady and unnerving as I groaned upon waking up. I figured there had been celebrations gone long, vaguely remembering another win on my record. My arm reaching out for Daniel and instead hitting the edge of something with my elbow left that in my memories as I was brought into reality.

"What the fuck?" I groaned as I held my arm. Then the rest of the pain set in.

The beeping grew faster as I opened my eyes, the blinding white of everything around me assaulting my retinas and forcing me to close my eyes again.

"Daniel? Pyrita?" I spoke, hoping one of them was around.

Blinking, I was able to fully assess where I was as the beeping steadily increased as my disorientation faded. It felt like waking up from the deepest sleep I had ever been in, my body sore almost from the feeling of laying in one place for too long. Some parts hurt entirely too much for it to be from not moving though.

A hospital room, I was in a hospital room and I had no recollection of why. The beeping suddenly made sense, my heart rate increasing as I came to. Why was I here? Did I imagine winning? Did I get hurt?

I ripped the sheet from my body. My suit was gone, the cloth hospital gown in its place. There were tubes and needles coming out of different places on my body.

"¡Señorita Dragón, por favor quédese quieta!" (Miss Dragon, Please stay still.)A nurse came into the room, clearly having run this way with two others behind her as I tried to stand up.

"¿Por qué estoy en el hospital? ¿Qué sucedió?"(Why am I in the hospital? What happened?) She and another nurse rushed to either side of me and encouraged me to lay back down.

"Miss Dragon, my name is Izzy. You passed out. We have to hold you here for observation. I have some questions to assess your current state. Would you mind sitting back for me please?" The second nurse explained through a heavy spanish accent.

"Do you know where you are?" My brain was still fuzzy, the accent making it harder to hear for a second.

"Mexico City. In a hospital."

"Can you tell me what year it is?" I squeezed my eyes shut, still fighting with the bright lights in the room.

"2018. Look, I know the drill. I'm fine. Everything's a little fuzzy and I don't remember leaving the race track. Can you please tell me what's going on?" She looked at the first nurse and then they looked at me.

"We will go get the doctor. Please stay still."

"Fine, I will stay here. Can I get some water though?" They both nodded before leaving the room.

One returned almost immediately with a cup of water.

"Ma'am, do you know a Daniel?" She asked me. My eyes widened. I don't even know what time it is or what's still going on.

"Is he here? Can I see him?" She nodded.

"He's in the waiting room. The doctor would like to speak with you first and then you can have one visitor." She told me as she handed me the cup.

"Please? Anything the doctor has to say he can be here for. Really." The nurse nodded.

"It's what the doctor insisted. Please excuse me." She left the water pitcher on the side table where I could reach it.