«chapter twenty-two: husband and wife»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

"So what's the mission?" I ask as the bioship speeds over some wooded areas, the trees looking like nothing other than green blurs as I stare down at them.

No one answered me for a few moments, causing me to look up at the rag-tag team we have in place.

If you had told me several hours ago that I would have been going undercover with Nightwing, Superboy, Red Arrow, and Artemis I would have looked at you like you had just grown two heads out of your hands.

If I'm honest, I still don't understand. One second I get to the Cave because Miss Martian calls me in, and the next she is pretending she didn't and says, "Well, since she is here, she could always take my spot."

From what I had gathered in the short conversation M'gann had with Nightwing, she was supposed to go on this mission, but couldn't at the last minute because of a personal problem.

And apparently, this mission required someone skilled in acrobatics.

At least that's what M'gann used to argue that I should be there, but Nightwing didn't like the idea.

M'gann then started suggesting others to fill her place, and after shooting down about half of the heroes on earth, Nightwing begrudgingly agreed and asked if I could help.

When I asked what I had to do, he was pretty vague and said that I would just be undercover with the team for a few days and have to do some tricks.

Seemed fishy even before they pulled out the leotards, but I just raised my eyes at the costume when Conner passed it to me.

Now, it seemed Nightwing really didn't want me here and really didn't want me even knowing anything about what was going on and everyone was too scared to say anything without his approval.

"Come on, where are we going?" I question again with an edge to my voice. I am getting annoyed with the lack of even a little trust. We are on a mission, I need to know what to expect.

"The circus." Nightwing finally spoke, "We are going undercover at the circus."

___________________

The Daring Dangers. That's what we are called.

Apparently, the team has had to go undercover to save this circus once before and used those as stage names. That explained why Red Arrow came back and why M'gann was needed. I was obviously not M'gann which meant I had to pick a name.

Nightwing was Dan Danger, Conner was Dean Danger, Red Arrow was Dane Danger, Artemis was Diane Danger and M'gann was Dawn Danger.

"I'm pretty sure you used up any names that start with a 'D'." Trying to find another easy 'D' name was hard.