«chapter ten: the calm before the storm»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

  Someone is shaking me. Someone is about to get hurt. It's too early for this.

"I'm up, " I groan, hiding my face in my pillow.

  "No, you aren't." Selina purrs back," Wake up! I have to go to work, and I want to actually see my daughter in the mornings."

  "But at this un-Godly hour?" I sigh out, before turning around, throwing my arm over my eyes to shield them from the harsh sun.

  My bed is so warm and comfortable in the mornings, so much more so when I have to get out of it.

"It's 9:00 a.m." Selena states in a deadpan voice.

  "Fine! Go make breakfast!" I grunt to her, peeking my eyes out from under my arms before slowly inching closer to the edge of the bed.

Come on, you can do it...

  I swing one limb over the other before getting up completely, and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth and hair, and then suit up.

  When I finally go downstairs, Selina greets me with pancakes making my mouth practically water.

I sit down across from her after I put some fruit on my plate.

  The air shifts and I think it's because we both realized how long it has been since we have done something like this.

  "So, how is the team?" She asks after a few moments of silence, causing me to tense.

  "It's ok, Nightwing said he doesn't think I will hurt the team anymore. He is a little uptight as still annoying, but it's progress," I shrug, hoping that gives her whatever reassurance she is looking for.

  "That's good! Well, better!" She laughs, before changing the subject, seeing how closed off I became.

  We talk for a few minutes about random things before she says she has to leave for a new job.

  I raise my eyebrows at this but don't question it as she is walking out of the apartment. "Bye!"

  She throws a response over her shoulder, but I am already cleaning the mess we made, cleaning off the dishes, and putting them in the dishwasher.

  When I am done, I check to make sure Biscuit is still sleeping (he was the lucky butt), before I slip through the window, making my way to the zeta-tube via swinging from roof to roof until Iland on the right one.

  Soon enough, I am at the Zeta-tube, typing in the Cave and stepping through.

'Recognize: Catgirl-B26'

  I step out of the Zeta-Tube and the cave looks pretty empty... It didn't seem like very many teammates were here.

I knew it; un-Godly hour.

  I decided it would be best to find M'gann, and I figured I knew where she would be.

  I walked into the kitchen, and there she was, making breakfast for everyone who lived at the Cave which was a surprising amount.

  After last year, I heard that the Cave was actually destroyed but they managed to rebuild it with some super help.

"Hey, need help?"

  "Sure! Can you make the eggs?" She points to the pan, seeming a little more than surprised that I was offering to help. I nod and start making the eggs, neither of us willing to break the silence.

  After everyone ate, M'gann offered to give me a real tour around the Cave. It's a pretty big place and most of the hallways looked the same, so I was pretty grateful when she suggested it.

  Along the way, she told me about her first mission on the team and how everyone didn't really trust her.

  It sort of made me feel better, but not by much. I think she thinks we have some mutual understanding, but she doesn't even know half of it. But I will let her believe whatever helps her with my being on the team.

  "The weather is nice..." She trails off, having completely run out of things to talk about.

  "It's supposed to rain," I say, fighting a smile from coming onto my face. I always loved storms. How things right before it always seemed so peaceful. And how things right after seemed peaceful. The calming before the storm.

  The rain just starts to really come down when I hear the computer announce Nightwing's arrival.

  I glance over my shoulder to see him coming in, already calling the team to a meeting.

  M'gann's eyes trailed from me to him before finally asking, "So, are you and Nightwing friends now?"

  "I wouldn't call it that." He has been a little less horrible since everything with the Joker. That much is true, but we are far from friends. "I think it's more like we trust each other's intentions."

  "It's a start." She smiles brightly, going back into her proud mother look.

  I have seen the way everyone treats her. They all come to her as if she is the mother of the group, even Nightwing.

  As much as I hate to admit it, the team is growing on me. I find myself smiling at their crazy antics more than I want to even though I say I don't want to get close. Being here with them in the moment though makes it so hard not to want to relax.

  I let out a thin breath between my teeth as I realize that this is probably the happiest that I have been in years, and that scares me.

  Maybe... just maybe, this whole team thing won't be so bad after all.

  M'gann starts walking toward Nightwing as he starts to talk, "Team, we have another new member. Superman found her and he believes that she will be a very good addition to the team.-"

  "What's up with Batman and Superman finding new recruits all of sudden? " Wondergirl interrupts.

  "Regardless, we will treat her nicely. She has been through a lot, apparently." He finishes, not really answering Wondergirls question.

  I roll my eyes,' We will treat her nicely.' Like how you treated me?

  I push the compelling thought to call him out on this out of my brain and turn to M'gann, "Do you know who this new member is?" I ask.

  "Not a clue." M'gann shrugs just as the computer catches everyone's attention.

'Recognize: Rogue-B27'

  I prepare the warmest smile I can muster, trying to be as friendly as I can. The team, or just Nightwing, doesn't really know how to.

  As she materializes, the smile is wiped clean off of my face.

  This was my calming before the storm, I realize as my blood runs cold. And the worst storm of my life just walked through that Zeta-tube.

________________________________

A/N:
____
who do you think it is? 🤫
_____________
thanks for reading, don't forget to vote & comment !!

xoxo, author