«chapter twenty-four: joining the circus»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

  I decided it was best if I didn't ever find myself alone with Nightwing after this morning.

We went to practice without a net.

  Nightwing thought it wouldn't be good for my first time performing to also be my first time with the net and I agreed because I couldn't shake the nerves.

  I didn't sleep very much last night either. I didn't want to have a nightmare and wake up to them watching me. That would be a nightmare on its own.

  I used to get bad nightmares, not so much anymore. I went for a good bit without having them until Rogue joined the team. After that, some nights I would be dreaming happy things, and others... Well, I didn't want to talk about it.

  And I figured it would be my luck to have a nightmare the same night I shared a room with four people who wouldn't know how to help and who wouldn't know what was happening and who would look at me with pity after and I didn't need that.

  So when I woke up to Nightwing shaking me to get out of bed, and not because I was screaming or crying, I counted it as a huge win.

  When we got to the tent where the show would be happening though, it was busy, and people were running around everywhere.

And the net was gone.

  I swear my heart stopped beating for a second before I saw Haly and Nightwing move to talk to him.

  "Hey! My two lovebirds, how are you?" He greeted us, excited for the show.

  "Great!" Nightwing said before nodding to where the net should have been, "We were going to practice with the net, is it possible-"

  "No, sorry," Haly said and I swear my heart stops beating. "Listen, you two know I would, but the guys are swamped trying to put everything together, the police stalled our work for hours today and now we are swamped."

Nightwing nodded, "We understand, thank you."

  "That's not going to be a problem right?" Haly asked, looking between the two of us.

  I found my voice after watching his worried face, "No, not at all." I lied," everything is good." I even added a smile at the end.

  He seemed to believe me and he tipped his hat to us and walked away.

  Without thinking I turned trying to keep from everyone seeing me. I placed my hand on Nightwings shoulder to keep him from turning and I tried to catch my breath, my nerves growing tenfold.

  The lights, the people, the props, it's all going to be thrown at me at once and without a net.

I felt like I was going to throw up.