«chapter eight: making it work»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

  I walk into the Cave later than when I did a few days ago and find Beastboy, or Garfield, looking annoyed as he stares down his paper. Must be homework. I smile slightly as I sit down next to him, the stone-cold floor sending a shiver up my spine.

  "What are you doing?" I ask, though I already know what it is.

  "Homework. I don't understand why I need to know this stuff." He replies with a sad tone.

I laugh, "Need help?"I offer.

  He looks up a little shocked as he says, "Umm, sure?" it comes out more like a question rather than a statement. I raised an eyebrow in question but don't say anything about it; I know that I'm not the best person, but I'm not actually heartless...

"Ok, what is it?" I ask.

  He sighs dramatically and looks at the paper," Math! The evilest subject in the world!" He exclaims.

  I shake my head before studying the screen and finding out what exactly we are doing; expressions. Grabbing a piece of paper, I do the first expression and show him how I did it. "10."

"10?" Garfield repeats confused.

  "The answer is 10. Look how I did it and try the next one." I tell him, looking over the paper. He only had a few left, so it can't hurt waiting for him to finish I decide as I watch him.

'Recognize: Nightwing-B01'

  I ignore the computer voice, not caring for the superhero that followed it. Nightwing was being so grouchy about me joining the team. I mean, I know that he is worried, but I really won't hurt anyone on the team. And I thought he would have warmed up to me by now. I have spent the past few days in the Cave just to be here.

  "I am confused," Garfield spoke up dragging me out of my thoughts.

  "Me too." I mutter before I shake my head, "Sorry, I mean you forgot a step..."

  "What are you doing?" Nightwing asks, breaking into our conversation. 

  "Homework." I state," You forgot to do the 2nd step." I tell Garfield, pointing to the problem. He made an 'O' with his mouth and got to work.

"Done, thanks!" And with that, he ran off.

  I stand up, laughing as I watch him runoff. Nightwing raises an eyebrow at me as I smirk and shrug in reply. His eyebrows knit together giving him a look of concentration.

  Just when he was going to say something, Batgirl came in, "Any news?" She asked.

  "No." He simply replied. He looked kind of...annoyed?...What did I do this time? But, for the first time since I got here, I didn't think he was annoyed with me.