«chapter two: an old enemy»

___________________

___________________

NIGHTWING'S POV

  When Bruce told me that he needed my help, I couldn't have said yes fast enough. The thought of being in my old town strangely seemed appealing.

  It was a chance to prove how much I had grown; it was a chance to prove that I didn't need him, but we still worked well together. After all, you can't just throw away the years of training we had together. Stopping Catwoman from a simple robbery was supposed to be the warm-up for the night. At least that was the plan.

  I didn't plan on Catgirl making a sudden appearance after years of being under our radar. She has always had that talent; popping up at the worst possible times as if she plans this stuff herself.

  So when Batman told me what was happening and that it involved her, I shouldn't have been surprised. But I was. I hadn't seen her in so long that I couldn't help but be caught off guard with a sense of curiosity at the mention of her name.

  And now? Well, now I am even more surprised because I am now laying on the floor with no clue how she got free.

  She made it seem like I had the upper hand the whole time. Well, until the last second when she revealed that she had been playing me from the first move. Something that I, once again, should have realized.

  I push myself off of the ground and look back just as she disappears from my view altogether. Seeing as it's too late to go after her on that, I glance down at my glove computer to see exactly where Miss Full-of-Surprises is going.

  I had taken the liberty of placing a tracker on her heel when she tried to kick me. And it's paying off now because she just led me right to her.

  Grappling to where the tracker is, I find my mind drifting back to how different she seemed, even after only a few years.

  She has changed a lot. Her hair was long and her body was more defined in some places. Something that stayed the same was her face, which was still partly covered with a domino mask. Her voice was lower, but still had a very feminine tone to it.

  She had a new suit too. This one was black and had a strip of purple, starting at her neck and ending at her lower stomach. She wears a jacket that is pulled up to her elbows and stops at her mid stomach.

  From what I have heard on the news, she hasn't been at large in a few years, since before I even became Nightwing. But that could also be because she was in Gotham and I didn't really watch too much of the news. I didn't have any time to.

  So, if she really hadn't been at large for a few years then I only had one question; what was she doing all those years?

  There was always the chance that she had taken a break, but it didn't seem like she needed one. She was always on the top of her game when we would fight. And she definitely didn't need any help tonight, so what was it?