«chapter twenty-seven: a cold bus ride»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

  It's been three days since Rogue was kicked off the team. Three peaceful days, where I haven't been constantly looking over my shoulder for an attack. It's pretty nice.

I've even started going out of patrol at night, running into Robin and Batman sometimes. It was a little awkward the first time around but we made it work.

I really like Robin too, he seems sweet from what I have gotten to see of him, a lot more shy towards me than Nightwing was, but he seems to be warming up to me.

  Today is my day off, I told the team I was taking a personal day and they didn't question me thankfully. I have been on missions ever since they found out the truth so I think they just assume I need a break.

I still find myself repeating my brother's last few words to myself anytime I think about Rogue promising to come back and get revenge.

This time will be different. Because this time I am stronger, I know what to expect and I have a team that sort of trusts me and I know will back me up now.

  I lean my head against the cold window of the bus, looking out as we pass by buildings, cars, and people all living their lives.

Why does it feel like mine has been paused up until now? Up until I met and joined the team I felt like I was repeating my days over and over again. When I joined, I felt like it was a new start, a new chance, and then Rogue joined and I fell back into that routine. And then the circus happened and I got a taste of what being a part of the team could actually be and I just couldn't go back. I couldn't. And now, it's slowly moving forward but I can feel the other shoe about to drop and I am so scared it's going to end with another body lying dead on the floor.

  Despite the team knowing now, I have been avoiding telling them what happened. I do talk to them all now and hang out with them when we aren't on missions, but I don't want them to become any more of a target than they already are. The only person I have been avoiding is Nightwing who I still can't exactly get a read on.

I just still feel a little... hurt by the fact he didn't trust me. Especially after the talk on the roof, the circus mission where we had to depend so heavily on each other. I guess I read too much into what everything meant.

And I didn't want to trust him again. Not the way I started at the circus, being dependent on him, trusting him like that, joking about being married just for him to look at me the way he did when he saw Rogue the night we got back.

And what makes it worse is that I can't help but trust him. In little moments I find myself looking to him for confirmation and for his opinion on things and it sucks because I know I can't control it the way I want to.