«chapter four: brotherly bonding»

___________________

___________________

NIGHTWING'S POV

I watched again as she swung away for the second night in a row and yet everything seems so different now. Only when I couldn't see her anymore did I turn away and head to the nearest Zeta Tube.

"Recognize: Nightwing-B01"

The lifeless computer voice announced my presence in the Bat Cave.

The cave I grew up in, so familiar yet I can barely recognize the man sitting in the middle of it sometimes. The man that raised me, that trained me to fight and be strong.

The man that just let a criminal join my team, causing everyone's life to be at stake.

We have always had a slightly rocky relationship because I could never be him; I couldn't make the decisions he had to make and live with them. I wasn't him, which is probably why I don't understand why he did what he did.

"That was your plan!" I question angrily, walking up to the man I idolized as a teen before adding, "She took out my team!"

"She also saved Alpha Squad." He states in a monotone voice, without even turning to look at me. The same voice that he has been using on me since I was ten and, for that very reason, I have grown to hate.

"She. Took. Out. The. Team." I growl out, my blood practically boiling at the thought of my childhood enemy getting anywhere close to my team.

"She did that out of fear. She was dragged there and she got scared because there was a cave full of superheroes." He explains, turning to me as if this was all peachy and normal.

Taking a few breathes as I study him, I cross my arms over my chest. There is something I am missing. Because Bruce would never trust someone he didn't know the background of.

"Why do you trust her?" I finally inquired after a few moments.

He only blinks, "I trusted you, didn't I?" I stare at him, making him sigh, "She needed a second chance."

"Are you doing this for Selina?" I try to understand his reasoning, but I can't understand. I don't see how he could let her join. She has been a villain ever since I was a hero.

"This isn't about her."

"Then who is it about!?" I ask completely tired of this and the secrets. Secrets are what almost took out my team last year, and I won't let this one tear my team to shreds.

"It's about her, Dick. She needs good people in her life. You can't see it, but she needs help. Catgirl needs a second chance. She needs the team... Just like Artemis needed the Team." He discloses, before looking back to the computer.